Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have heard stories of babies that fall and end up getting scalped. But I have noticed. That all the parents in my loft will feed eachother's babies. Like before. I had a baby that fell. and hopped in the nest in the bottom and was feed. then today i noticed. that a pair that is sitting on eggs. the hen came and fed babies from a different pair. I have seen this alot. Do you guys often see this?

·
Registered
459 Posts
hey,

i am just starting outmwith pigeons but do you have homer? homers ussually tend to be very caring parents a nd will even adopt others if help is needed!!!

·
Registered
967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey, I have homers. what breed do you have? Thats pretty cool that they are willing to do that.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Happens alot, I have quite a few who do it. Last year I had 2 pairs in neighboring nest boxes who would always feed eachothers babies but nobody elses. Then I had 1 cock who would feed everybody and anybody, though he did take it a bit far once when he went into his neighbors nest box and kidnapped their babies. :eek: He would kick parents off and sit on them, we had to put a stop to that!!

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Some racing pigeon breeders leave the babies on the floor in the breeding section for a few days before they are put in the youngbird loft to fend for themself, If there was a group of say 20 babies all around the same age. The parents would feed them all because they cant tell who's their babie and who isnt. So if the parents of one set of the babies got out or somthing, another pair would most likely take care of there young even though it isnt theres.

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
I have a couple hens that will do that. If the parents leave the babies for too long, they go in and feed them.
Last year I had 3 pairs of babies on the floor :eek:, at about 2 weeks all 6 babies grouped together - and all 6 parents took care of them, it was a little crowded but they all tolerated each other.
I also had a pair of 1 week olds that the parents abandoned. I gave them to a single hen that was sitting on a dummy egg with no mate. She raised them by herself and guarded them with her life. :)
These were homers and tumblers.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
yes, I had a figurita cock feed my baby frillbacks in between the parents feeding them, they were always happy babies, never had to hear them squeak for feedings.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts