Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was reading one of Taralotti's posts where she mentions singing mantras to her pigeons, and of course it makes sense that they will react to some sounds more favourably than others. So the question is: which ones?

Out of everything they've heard so far, Top of the Pops for Piper and Noel was Chi Mi Na Morbheanna by The Rankin Family.

What do your pigeons like?

·
Registered
386 Posts
I was reading one of Taralotti's posts where she mentions singing mantras to her pigeons, and of course it makes sense that they will react to some sounds more favourably than others. So the question is: which ones?

Out of everything they've heard so far, Top of the Pops for Piper and Noel was Chi Mi Na Morbheanna by The Rankin Family.

What do your pigeons like?
This has got to be a put-on but I will go along because it sounds like fun!

Figuritas prefer Flamenco.

Classic old frills are into Bach.

Texan Pioneers stomp around with country and western.

Racing homers like fast music.

Priests prefer choral pieces recorded in an abbey.

Rock pigeons (ferals) like...you guessed it....

Anyone want to add to the list?

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
I haven't personally played music to my rescues but I have to say, when I took two Woodies to Taralotti's, (Maria's), recently, she had music playing in her aviary for March her existing Woodie, and it was delightful.
I really must find out what it actually was.
Although it was musical it also had birds singing and general wildlife sounds and to sit in that aviary listening was so relaxing. I'm sure the injured birds especially would benefit from the calm atmosphere, I know I certainly did !!

Janet

LOL Risingstarfans, Must put my thinking hat on, this could get funny !!!

·
Registered
875 Posts
i love music and often practise guitar in garden(summer only,its freezing here lol)strange looks from my pigeon friends too,i play a lot of music if im in during day and the pigeons dont seem to mind,i leave door open and they sometimes sit on the step out back,some of them respond well to "watching" tv through the window from shed the kids programme"the night garden"seems a fave,lots of bright colours and simple repetative tunes and funny wee characters,,im into punk and metal so i dont know if our pigies share my taste lol

·
Registered
10,372 Posts
Oh yeah...it's definitely for real.

Pigeon wise, individual Birds will have their own preferences, and one has to try different Music to see who likes what.

Too, it is not always easy to tell if they like something or not.

Far as I have been able to tell, no Bird of any Spedies can stand any music of 'Barry Manilow', or 'Kenny G'.

While, virtually all Birds do like most Popular Music, Jazz, Cowboy, and Hawiaan Music as found on 78 RPM Records of the 'teens and 'twenties and some early 'thirties.

Though they do NOT like 'Big Band'.

One of my Pigeons, a Hen, really loved a song called 'Beck's Bolero' by Jeff Beck.

She'd literally fly up and stand right in front of the Speaker and just groove with the song...and I played it "LOUD", too...which is how that song should be played.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xbx-Qgt65bI

Once the Song was over, she'd stand there all dreamy, then compose herself and fly off.

So there's a lot of variation in what individual Birds like, and some general trends, also, for Birds in general.

Uhhhhhh...a few more which come to mind, whih the Birds here like -

'Musica Poetica' - Carl Orff

http://www.last.fm/music/Carl+Orff/_/Musica+Poetica

Probably, one could arrange some learly distinguished 'pecking-buttons' allowing them to elect speific Songs to be played, and see which ones they play most..!

"The Pigeon Juke Box" as it were...

That would be fun...

Phil
l v

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
my pigeons listen to spanish music all the time
It helps drown out the noise of all the traffic that goes by my house

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
My back yard guys get to listen/watch American Idol. They must like it. The ferals won't leave and are waiting around until next season.
They also get to listen to some talk radio so that may explain why they get such an attitude.

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
The only music that my pigeons love is the music of my whistling during feed time. My neighbor who play rock band and heavy metal are not the music that my homers love. They find them music scary.

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
My birds don't listen to music. They're hooked on NPR.:D

G

·
I play Sinatra for my birds sometimes. And I like to sing to them. Mostly made up songs like "Don't Poop on my Head Please" or "The Eat A Peanut Song".

Eat a peanut
Eat a peanut
Eat a PEAnut cause they're good!
There! You ate one
And another
I see you liked them
I knew you would!

I can't sing worth a darn but the birds don't seem to mind. :)

·
Registered
875 Posts
I play Sinatra for my birds sometimes. And I like to sing to them. Mostly made up songs like "Don't Poop on my Head Please" or "The Eat A Peanut Song".

Eat a peanut
Eat a peanut
Eat a PEAnut cause they're good!
There! You ate one
And another
I see you liked them
I knew you would!

I can't sing worth a darn but the birds don't seem to mind. :)

haha,cool!my 7 year old kid makes up poems and songs for our flock,the latest being about caramel log who came by today with really dirty feet
it went something like-"caramel log has dirty feet,shes been dancing in the mud,her feet and legs are dirty,she has to give thema wash"

·
Registered
20,301 Posts

LOL.....now thats funny!......frillbacks would like.....punk..?

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Couldn't stop laughing

Absolutely hilarious, and according to that ferals would like folk/ethnic music! But I was actually being serious, because I had been listening to music and noticed that my (indoor) pigeons looked very interested when I played that particular song. They came up closer, tilted their heads and started making little noises, so it seemed they were showing a preference.

·
Registered
875 Posts
i had music on today (a song called "little red rooster" by the rolling stones)the pigeons looked quite interested,or probably they were more interested in what a took out for them(huge bag of food loL)

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Far as I have been able to tell, no Bird of any Spedies can stand any music of 'Barry Manilow', or 'Kenny G'.l v
I'm surprised they don't like Barry Manilow, as he's got a respectable beak for a nose... :)

'Musica Poetica' - Carl Orff
l v
And this is also unexpected, as, even at his most poetic, Carl Orff is a bit LOUD! I would have thought they'd shrink back from it, as they do with big band music.

·
Registered
7 Posts
My pigeon loves Primus. He listens to their Pork Soda album over and over again. it intrigues him no matter how many times he listens to it. He also likes one aphex twin song. Im still trying to find more music that he likes.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts