Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I found elsie bird 3days ago .
She was sitting on the pavement . On the way to vet , I decided she would have more of a chance with me ,as the vet may put her to sleep .
Thanks to your website, I found that I should keep her warm drip feed her salted or sugared water , which as long as I feed her she enjoys and can cosume a larger amount than I thought . She seemed to get stronger very quickly . Her poo is now normal looking and I THINK she has been eating when I'm not around . Is it ok to give her bread and water or bread and milk ? I read it somewhere but always thought they weren't ment to have bread or milk .
Her wings are strong now but when I hold her they look to big for her body is this a sign that she is young ? Is it right that the girls have flat heads ?
So she seems to be getting stronger all the time but the real problem is her little legs don't seem to work , they hang out behind her , I have seen them moving a little little bit but not sure . sometimes she flaps and flaps and ends upside down and huffing . Has anyone any idea if they will start working , I don't see much of a future for a reral pigeon who can't perch . She is so sweet and bright eyed nothing would make me happier than setting her free on a hill top ....

·
Registered
11,336 Posts
Hello,

It could be a calcium deficiency, it could be fracture/s or neurological. Does he flap around and try to stand or fly?

Can you tell us which part of Sussex you are in?

If you give her bread, then make it wholemeal bread that is at least a day old, and dip it in water first. Ideally she should be having a pigeon mix or mixed corn.

You are right in being wary of taking her to a vet. The same applies to many Wildlife hospitals which euthanase unreleasable animals.

Gideon Smit, who spreads his time between Companion Care (at the back of Pets at Home) at Chichester and Rustington is the vet that John_D takes his rescued pigeons to. John also gets our pigeon food from Gem Supplements in Bognor Road , Chichester. If you are anywhere near there, the owner might be able to have a quick look at the pigeon for you.

Cynthia

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thankyou

We're in Rottingdean just outside brighton .
I don't think she is injured in anyway . I first thought she was dehydrated and movement would come to her legs .
I've left her some mixed beans and wild bird seed also i wondered about porridge oats I can get pigeon mix tommorrow .
she is in my cat basket if i put her in a smaller space would that stop her flaping around cos she keeps twisting her wings and tail around and I like to reduce her stress as much as i can .
In answer to your question her wings are strong she doesn't seem to be in pain she is not keeping her feathers clean so is now looking wet .
Her legs look all out to the back you know how, some dogs stretch out with there legs splayed out , we call my dog a squashed frog when she does it , that is just what she looks like . she sits closer to her breast bone than her her feet , like a duck rather than a pigeon .
Thankyou for time if there is no improvement by tuesday I'm going to take her to someone else , thanks again Holly

·
Registered
11,336 Posts
I think this is one that could benefit from an examination by a sympathetic vet because this is not a condition that I have dealt with successfully. I nursed one but he died, I am certain that it was the constant struggling to fly that caused his death. A pigeon with broken legs won't do that so I suspected a spine injury.

The next one I received I took straight to the sanctuary and they told me that it had a spinal injury, they gave it anti inflammatories (Devil's Claw is a good natural anti inflammatory) and they rigged up a hanging cradle made out of a margerine tub with its . They said he had progressed to the aviary.

The sanctuary I took it to is in Norfolk, they give advice by telephone so it might be a good idea to ring them, but they are hard to get hold of during the day so night time is best. Their telephone number is 01603 754157.

Cynthia

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
just to let you know, I took her to the local bird man , who said she had a spinal injury the vet agreed . So sadly she was put to sleep yesterday . I'm very sad she was so sweet and started to get used to me . However it has given me the cofidence to help birds in the future , so all not in vain . Thankyou so much for your help and time , take lots of care, big love Holly .

·
Registered
11,336 Posts
I am so sorry. Thank you for helping her and for loving her.

Cynthia

1 - 8 of 8 Posts