Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't want to sound irresponsible here... However, my little pigeon, Muffin, is not yet fully recovered. After her 5 days on an antibiotic (Tetraycycline) given by my vet, (I originally thought she was going to give me Baytril, but had none, most surprisingly), Muffin is better, but not completely well. I would also be willing to use natural remedies, but there just doesn't seem to be much supply here, at all. I have looked far and wide and all I've been able to find are some odd garlic tablets, rather than oil capsules, and apple cider vinegar. The only antibiotic I can find, yet again, is Tetraycycline--and the dosages are for bees, pigs, cows, chickens, waterfowl and turkey, rather than for little birds like Muffin.

I don't have enough money for ANOTHER vet check... I've been low on it, mostly due to Moody Goose, and I don't get paid for a while.

Since the antibiotic, though, Muffin has laid an egg (she had no laid for a very long time), and molted quite a few feathers. I think this shows promise, but I would like to have Baytril on hand, partially to give her a bit of it, and just in case anything happens... It's very, very hard to find supplies around here...

If anyone is willing to ship to Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada, I would pay for everything required.

Thank you so much,
Hilary

·
Guardian Angel
4,163 Posts
HI HILLERY, Get some probiotic into the bird when you have given a bird antibiotics you kill the good bactria as well as the bad and you need to replace that good bactria with out delay. .GEORGE;)

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
Hey Vasp, Foy's sells Baytril and you can have it delivered pretty fast, I think possibly overnight mail, but of course it costs more the faster you want it delivered. I ordered some last month to have on hand, just regular post, and it came in four days. Good luck!

***Wow, I stand (sit) corrected! I just went to get the link for you and all the Baytril has been "discontinued!" I just ordered some not long ago. That is very strange.....and not good! I guess maybe it's become a vet-only-med. What a shame. I don't have very much of it or I would send you what I have.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Thanks, George. I have an avian probiotic and vitamin supplement on hand, so I'll get some of that into her right away. You'd think that, because she just started laying eggs again after so long, and has just finished a molt, that she has made a recovery. Her poops are not that bad, but I think they are a bit wet because she is in "nesting mode". Either way, I would really, really like to have some good antibiotics on hand, because if I ever find a bird that needs them or have a problem with mine, it would be reassuring to have them. Baytril is supposedly the best but it's becoming so hard to find.

And thank you so much, Maryjane, for your kindness. I did look at Foy's and saw that Baytril had been discontinued--that was the second place I looked, after looking into the veterinary supply store here.

I'll just get the probiotics into her and see if things improve.

Thanks again,
- Hilary

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
If her droppings are wet it's most likely a combination of egg laying hormone changes and a lack of good gut bacteria after the antibiotic treatment, as George suggested. I would try probiotics before treating her with more meds, and see if her droppings improve.

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
Yes. We have bought medication from MedsMex.com: http://medsmex.com/store/home.php

The actual company is here in the U.S. but they import the medications from Mexico where you don't need a prescription to buy many of them. I found the service to be good, though it did take awhile to get it and I had to go to the P.O. to pick it up.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts