Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, Its been a while since I've posted. Hope everyone is doing great.

We've taken in 3 pet hen pigeons in the last 3 months and the owners say they have been laying eggs for a few years but haven't been provided the extra calcium they need. Because of this I would like to start them on calcionate syrup, this product is used by many reptile breeders so I thought it could work for pigeons too.

Sorry if this has been asked before.

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
Some folks use that for emergency situations, but generally it's better to provide a good mineral supplement, grit, and oyster shell. Make sure the birds receive vitamin D (either by exposure to direct sunlight or added to their water) to help them metabolize the calcium. Thanks for taking in those three pet hens. I know they will thrive in your care!

·
Premium Member
9,476 Posts
We've only used pigeon-specific supplements like a liquid calcium supplement for hens who we knew had problems with soft shelled eggs, or very small eggs. The one I have currently contains Calcium Borogluconate (?) and Vitamin D3 and is marketed by 'The Australian Pigeon Company', but I guess Foys and others would have such supplements.

Terri is right, a good supply of various grits and minerals is always necessary, but some birds seem to need something extra.

John

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Terri & John :) All the birds here do get a calcium supplement in the everyday diet, I had been talking to a reptile breeder about the adult pigeon hens that we take in that have been laying eggs and haven't gotten the calcium intake at all and he suggested using the cal. syrup for a period of time just to build up their calcium level.

Just wondered what the 'Pigeon People' thought about the idea. I can't ask my vet because he retired last Dec. and unfortunately haven't found one that meets my spec.s yet.:(

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.