Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Sorry, I kinda of stole someone else's idea, but hey it was a good idea. I just wanted to be able to ask my own questions without hijacking their thread.

I'm wondering if anyone has used part of a garage for a coop/loft? I'm wondering if it is a healthy environment for pigeons? And then I'm wondering if it would be very hard to switch the pigeons landing board over or out several feet if I ever wanted to add onto it?

Here's the outside part of the garage I want to use. I would build (another words my husband would) some sort of outdoor area and, of course, a landing board area.

I'm also wondering about how dusty pigeons are... Do you think it could get into the house and cause problems?

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
IMO, you're better off with a free standing loft. Pigeons DO shed a lot of dust and when they're molting............forget it!!! LOL
One of our members closed in her back porch for her birds. She just finished having a loft built. I think the dust was part of the problem.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Okay, another question... Is a garden shed suitable too be transitioned into a pigeon coop?

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
Okay, another question... Is a garden shed suitable too be transitioned into a pigeon coop?
It should be with a little modification. Got any pictures? Cut some holes in the wall for an aviary, make sure it's rodent proof, throw up some perches and/or nest boxes.........probably work out just fine.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't have the shed yet, but we're getting one. Would a 10X8 shed be sufficient? I would like to have about 20 pigeons when everything is said and done. Is that reasonable for a 10X8 shed? Or do I need to go bigger?

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was just reading about how much theft of pigeons are happening in my area. Should I be worried if I'm not keeping racing pigeons?

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
I don't have the shed yet, but we're getting one. Would a 10X8 shed be sufficient? I would like to have about 20 pigeons when everything is said and done. Is that reasonable for a 10X8 shed? Or do I need to go bigger?
Plenty of room, with room to spare, which you WILL need........pigeons are like Lays Potato Chips.......no one can have just one, or two, or twenty or...........:D
I don't know how your husband feels about building instead of buying.....but trust me, it's not cheap no matter how you go now a days, but he could build a shed bigger than 8 X 10 for what he'll spend on a prebuilt one PLUS, there's the modifications to do after the shed is delivered and set up.
I'd think about it..............

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
I was just reading about how much theft of pigeons are happening in my area. Should I be worried if I'm not keeping racing pigeons?
Are you in Minneapolis? I don't know about people stealing birds in your area, but I would check into who is stealing the birds and why they are stealing them.
If it's people going after high dollar race birds, then you probably don't have a worry, although I'd lock the loft anyway...........if people are stealing pigeons to eat or just to have something to do............I'd DOUBLE lock the loft, get a big gun and a BIG dog...........;)

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, you can get a pre-built, pre-owned one for around $400 in decent shape. I figure that is cheaper then building and we can afford to modify it after we get it in our yard. I'm selling a horse and that is going to pay for my coop.

I'm south of St. Paul. I'm on a local forum and there's a lot of theft right in St. Paul. I'm hoping since I will have white pigeons that they won't think they're worth much or mistake them for doves. *crosses fingers* I will lock up my coop, though. I have a dog, but she's not very big. :( I guess I'll put up motion sensor lights and I've heard you can get coop alarms.

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
I do use my garage as a loft. It does get pretty dusty especially with 45 pigeons. I don't know how many you are thinking of but if you just have a few, the garage might be a good way to go. It sure is handy in the winter months.
Another option, is building a loft out of recycled house parts. It was a lot of fun looking for house parts that could be used. I had a chicken coop built for about $300. in recycled parts and $800. in labor. It's a good size too...6x16. You can see pictures in my album on my home page.

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
I also use my garage as a loft, but they are not free flying in there. I actually have a small 4'x6' rolling loft and several cages in the garage that I can use as an transition area. I open it daily for air circulation and there are windows in the garage door so that it is light in there if the big door is closed. But it does get very dusty even when cleaned daily.\

Margaret

·
Registered
29,796 Posts
IMO, you're better off with a free standing loft. Pigeons DO shed a lot of dust and when they're molting............forget it!!! LOL
One of our members closed in her back porch for her birds. She just finished having a loft built. I think the dust was part of the problem.
If it is the member I'm thinking of, the problem was that her husband is allergic to the birds. Actually, some people do use their garages. I just had one built onto the back of my house, and it is working out fine. At least it works for me.

·
Registered
29,796 Posts
I have read where you should have at least 2 square feet of floor room for each pidgie. That would be at least 8X10, so you should be fine.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So what if I start out with my garage and then switch to free standing coop. If I move my landing boarding 10 ft over will they still figure it out?

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
Is your furnace in the garage?

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
No. The furnace is in the basement.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
How about a rabbit hutch? Anyone using them for breeding pairs? I'm thinking something like this...

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
That's really much bigger than you need. Renee can help you with nest boxes. She has quite the set up for her birds. Look at her albums anmd you will see what I mean.:cool:

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I don't have a coop yet and I was hoping the hutch would do for a cage and nesting box. 'Cause if I get my first pair this fall they won't breed until spring, right? (Boy, I'm hoping I'm not totally off. Preparing to be embarrassed.)

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
Don't be embarassed..........pigeons can and DO breed 365 days a year. Ferals are more apt NOT to because of being outside in the weather and the scarce food. Pampered pigeons though??? LOOK OUT!! LOL
The hutch in the picture CAN be used as a breeding pen. Just keep in mind that where ever the eggs are laid is where the babies will have to be raised. In other words, the pairs could raise their babies in the hutch and the babies be put into the loft when they're older. I however wouldn't leave the pairs in those hutches all the time. They just aren't big enough for "forever housing"......IMO, the best thing is to have a loft with at least two sections. One for breeding birds and one for the youngsters. MORE than two sections is ideal, but 2 is a minimum to have so that you don't have problems down the road.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts