Pigeon-Talk banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Is it safe for them to breed in winter? I mean for the babies? Should I take their eggs before they have a chance to be incubated? I assume you can swipe them like we do for our hens. I heard something about using dummy eggs too...

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
Is it safe for them to breed in winter? I mean for the babies? Should I take their eggs before they have a chance to be incubated? I assume you can swipe them like we do for our hens. I heard something about using dummy eggs too...
Yea, you can switch the eggs........gotta run for now.......shipping birds tonight.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Thanks for all the help Lovebirds. :)

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
If I was to put my coop/loft out in the backyard where do you think I should put it? We have power lines, pines, and small scrubs. All which, I think, pose danger. Hawk hiding places, etc...

Attachments

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
I don't have a coop yet and I was hoping the hutch would do for a cage and nesting box. 'Cause if I get my first pair this fall they won't breed until spring, right? (Boy, I'm hoping I'm not totally off. Preparing to be embarrassed.)
Hi Moonshadow. Actually, New England Pigeon Supply has a set up about that size. It is for one or two pet pigeons. But if you were to keep them in something this size, you would have to take them out of it daily for exercise. You can check it out on their website.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Well, one thing to remember is that since you live where winters can be cold with lots of snow, the further from the house it is located, the further you have to shovel or snow blow, or trek through snow. The trees will hide hawks, and the power lines are dangerous for the birds, but there isn't really much you can do about either. It's a nice yard, and will accomodate a loft very nicely. I'd put it near the house.
Also, you asked earlier about the wooden eggs. If you take the real eggs away, and don't replace them with the fake ones, the birds will just have more eggs. Better to let them sit on the fake ones for a while, until they get tired of it and kick them out. You don't want her to keep having eggs to replace the ones you took. Not good for her.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 · (Edited)
Here's what I had in mind. The yard isn't that long and I really don't want the coop close to house. I grew up with a chicken coop and I don't relish the thought of having it directly beside my house.

The coop being about 8-10 feet wide.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
It would look nice over there.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
I got some pigeons. :) Look for my post in the general section. I bought a custom pigeon hutch for them right now. We'll figure something else out soon.

·
Registered
272 Posts
My husband spent about $600 building a loft in the garage. He used half of our 2-car garage. Built a raised plywood floor. Built the inside wall about 6 feet out from the rear of the garage. Divided into three sections. The ceilings are wire mesh a couple of feet lower than the inside ceiling. A main area, an area for YBs and a breeder section. He cut holes in the outside wall for 2 Belgian trap doors, and 2 sections, probably 6 inch by a foot ventilation areas at floor height. There are outside aviaries for the 2 main sections. I don't technically have a landing board, but the outside aviary sections have a kind of slanted roof (out of wire mesh) with hinged doors that drop open so the birds have easy landing access.
The aviaries are south-facing and we get good sunlight and ventilation. Seems to work well for me. We live in town and didn't have room for a nice-sized free-standing loft.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Sounds like a good set-up. :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've seen a british guy on 'utube' who started racing pigeons with a large 'dowel' box and a brick knocked out of the garage wall for an entrance way.Though he's expanded he still uses the box for breeding purposes.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts