Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody,
Hope ya'll r doin good with ur pigeons ..I wanted to know whether pigeons need too much sunlight for fertilisng their eggs or not ?? Im keeping my pigeons in my balcony .Winter is ahead so sunlight does not stay in my balcony for long..They get sunlight for appromixately 20-30 mins everyday..Is this enough or they should be exposed to more sunlight for fertilising their egs ???

Thank You
Nazmul

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
Sunlight is not required for fertilizing the eggs but harsh winter do make breeding difficult. Some of my nest boxes have the back faced towards the sun, that is the pigeons inside never get direct sunlight when incubating, they have been hatching like any normal pigeon egg would.
what is the minimum temp to which Dhaka gets during winter ? At my place in India winter does not go beyond 17 degree C and such a "winter" doesnt interfere with breeding :)

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well winter is still two months to come....winter is not a concern now actually :p...so sunlight is not necessary for incubating or fertilisng ???

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
another question is .. why is grit required exactly ?? i knw they get calcium from grit..is grit required for fertilising eggs or something ??

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
Grits are essentially solid components which aids in digestion of food. Many birds (grain eaters mostly) feed on grit (including tiny stones) so that it provides a grinding action helping in better digestion. You might have heard that ostrich "eat" pebbles, its the same function.

If calcium grit is provided, it also acts as a calcium source, if normal grit is provided, then it does not act as a calcium source.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
another question is :- i feed my pigeons with only wheat ..they r healthy..but there is one pair which lays eggs but the eggs remain unfertilised...i giv them food properly..i suplly them with fresh water everyday...their nest is also properly insulated...then why are the eggs unfertilised ??

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
Feeding wheat only and infertility has no direct relationship. At the same time if you wish for healthy pigeons, living to their full energy and properly nutritioned, at least two types of seeds or a commercial feed mix needs to be provided.

Infertility in pigeons can have multiple reasons including genetically infertile, improper matings (mostly in the heavily feathered fancy breeds), excessive breeding or aged pigeons. Infertile eggs are usually clear with the yolk and white even after incubation. If the eggs are of the rotten type after incubation then its mainly because the parents are carrying disease or intermittent incubation.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The eggs of my pigeons r not rotten...rather the yolk remains in the eggs even after incubation...What is the most general cause of infertile egss ??

·
Registered
137 Posts
Maybe some bacteria that is killing the germ in the egg?

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
is germ the general cause of infertile eggs ?? but i keep them clean and provide them fresh water ...they also take shower ...

·
Registered
137 Posts
Well the germ is inside the egg which combines with the embryo to start developing the baby bird. Bacteria may be the cause salmonella, and that sort of line.
But might I ask you what kind of pigeons are you raising?

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
Have they hatched eggs before ? How old are the pigeons ? First timers can some times give you non viable eggs but its not considered a problem as they catch up later

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
i dont know whether they have hatched eggs b4 or not ...they r not first timers ...they r middle aged pigeons..they have laid eggs twice b4 at my place but eggs were infertile....they laid another pair of eggs recently...

·
Registered
1 Posts
pigeon is spoiling eggs

Hii thr... Im new on this site. i have 16 high fly pigeons. but out of them 1pair is not hatching eggs or no development at all of baby. The male is ok,i tested him with different female pigeon.can any1 help me regarding this matter??

·
Registered
20 Posts
Don't always feed too much wheat. If they get very fat, then they'll become lazy and uncapable of breeding. You can feed them mustard(সরিষা), I see many people of bangladesh feed them that. They also like some kind of worm, rice(চাল). Your loft should be well ventilated(রোদ থাকার দরকার নেই, দিনেও যেন বাসা অন্ধকার না থাকে। কবুতার ডিম পারার আগে বাসার কাছে কিছু খরকুটা রাখতে পারেন। তা দিয়ে তারা বাসা বানাবে। লাগলে মেইল কইরেন। ওরা আমাদের এদিকে যা দিয়ে বাসা বানায় তা কুরিয়ার করবো আনে:)। ডাক্তার দেখান বা না হলে ওই জোড়া বেঁচে আরেক জোড়া কিনেন) and its front should be towards south. Dhaka is a hell like city, keep an eye at loft temperature at the noon.

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
Hi Mohi,
Welcome to PT.
If cock is ok,then are you sure hen is free from disease.
On some occasions, hens do not have a good germ on the egg or they have bacteria already in the yolk which can quickly kill the embryo. The eggs may be viable but embryo couldnt develop because of salmonella.

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
Hi Junaid,
Bro,rice is not good for pigeons. It has poor nutritional value. It should not exceed 2 % of pigeon feed mix.
Junaid Ahmed Shawon said:
They also like some kind of worm
What do you mean by that?
Junaid Ahmed Shawon said:
and its front should be towards south
Why so???

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hi Junaid,
Bro,rice is not good for pigeons. It has poor nutritional value. It should not exceed 2 % of pigeon feed mix.

What do you mean by that?

Why so???
I know rice is low, I only suggest it to avoid excess feeding of wheat.
I saw my pigeon eating 2 kinds of ant.
In our country sun is always at south. So people of here always try to build loft facing at south so that they get max amount of sunlight. Also it helps to avoid northern cold wind of winter.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts