Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have one possibly fertile egg and the other was too thin (layed too early) so I discarded it. I was told to add the dummy egg but the one I have is a little bigger, about 25% bigger than the real one....does this matter? Also, it's dark brown, is this ok?

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
I have one possibly fertile egg and the other was too thin (layed too early) so I discarded it. I was told to add the dummy egg but the one I have is a little bigger, about 25% bigger than the real one....does this matter? Also, it's dark brown, is this ok?
I've never had a problem with them sitting on just one egg. I don't think they can count to be honest.;)
I had a couple of hens just this year only lay one egg. It hatched without a problem.

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
God, here i go again! Renee is right. I have never had problems leaving them with a single egg, And they will sit on C-7 Xmas bulbs if you offer them to them... Dave
God, here i go again! Renee is right. I have never had problems leaving them with a single egg, And they will sit on C-7 Xmas bulbs if you offer them to them... Dave
You gotta stop this........people are going to start talking........:rolleyes:
and you REALLY have to stop doing it twice!! :D

G

·
I've never had a problem with them sitting on just one egg. I don't think they can count to be honest.;)
I had a couple of hens just this year only lay one egg. It hatched without a problem.
to be honest I have a few hens that wont set eggs for long if there is only one in the nest ,they just give up after a week or so ,but when they had two they sat all the way thru ..;)

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
I use big brown chicken eggs as my dummy eggs ;) They are very proud of their giant eggs! I've also used regular white ones. But no matter what kind of chicken egg it is, I always only put one under them, since chicken eggs are typically bigger. I've never had a problem with my birds sitting on one egg.

·
Registered
11,336 Posts
We had a hen that was barren, I found her incubating a drinking bowl that she had managed to drag under her, another member's pigeon sat on a cigarette lighter...:)

Cynthia

·
Registered
8 Posts
setting cock.

We had a hen that was barren, I found her incubating a drinking bowl that she had managed to drag under her, another member's pigeon sat on a cigarette lighter...:)

Cynthia
Oh I am so relieved! This makes me believe that he is not crazy... My cock pigeon, Pidgel, is sitting on our ceiling fan remote on my bed. Every time I go into the room he frantically flies off to search for more bread ties, milk rings, rubber bands, pieces of twine... I am exhausted trying to keep up with him. He is defending the entire bed from anyone, but my husband and I. It is as though we are the hen who should take over the setting. We have no hen and he will not accept one every time we have tried.
This is the first time he has ever done this, spring is hitting him really hard! He is 5 years old. How long can I expect this to go on????? :confused:

·
Registered
8 Posts
most of his life???!!

Oh, great. Is it anything to worry about? I mean he sits there on the remote in this pile of bread ties, and milk bottle rings, sticks and twine... anything else he can find. He'll sit til I "relieve" him then he goes to gather more stuff, he doesn't eat much, or anything and i can tell that his legs are getting cramped. He is mean and strikes out at anyone but my husband and I... I actually worry for my 2 year old grandson.
Why is it that just this year he did this? I thought they were capable of parenting from about 6 months old like chickens, NO?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.