Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I found this young Whitewing Dove on the side of the road. No visible injuries, but his head was drooping and he is disoriented. I rehydrated him, and have been hand feeding him. I have attached pictures. His poops are a little on the yellow side, but not bad. He shows all the signs, to me, of PMV. Head drooping sideways and hanging low, and when he isn't doing that, he is stargazing. He tries to fly, but only goes in crazy circles. What do you think? I know he may have been hit by a car and has internal injuries, but I see no signs of that.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
He looks very skinny. Keep feeding him defrosted peas and put vitamins in the water. The head falling, dropping and not twisting it could be from the weakness. Make him the donut bed, so he cannot fly in circles as he can injure himself. When he flys circles he flys on the floor;right?

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you. He can't really fly, he just flops around on the floor. (Cage floor which is a heating pad on low covered with a soft towel.) He is young, I can tell by his eyes. Don't know what the outcome will be for this poor thing. He just stands with his head on the floor most of the time. Once in a while he will lift it up and look at me. I have been feeding him a lot, and I will dip his beak in water. Poor thing.:(

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
For how long do you have him? There's been no improvement?
Baytril could be good for him. It has a wide spectrum to fight infections.
Keep doing the good job.
Can you put a video. There are experienced members in PMV and they could tell exactly what to do.
You are right; he is young; you can see it from the beak and the way he stand on the leg.With TLC (TENDER LOVE &CARE) he will do good; he is a young fighter.

·
Registered
29,795 Posts
Does he drink when you dip his beak? Rehydrating is important. Could be PMV, or could be that he did indeed have a collision with a car. If he isn't drinking, then maybe hand feeding baby bird formula would be best if you know how to crop feed, as that would at least give him the fluids that he needs. How are you feeding him now? Oh, and don't leave a wide dish of water in with him, where he could fall in and drown. Better to remove water when you aren't there, or use a very narrow dish which would be harder to fall into. Also, feeding frozen defrosted peas would give him some water, as they do hold that.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
You very right Jay. Didn't see that. I would say do not leave any dish of water close to him. His head falls on the side and he may want to dink water and head falling on the dish and he ca aspirate the water with even one nostril.

I assume you know how to feed him defrested peas but i am pasting below the text:

You can hand feed defrosted peas. Run some hot water over them until they are defrosted and slightly warmed. Put the bird on your lap and hold it next to your body. If it helps because you are having a hard time handling the pigeon, you can wrap a towel around it or put it in the sleeve of a tee shirt, with the head out the wrist. This method confines the pigeon without hurting him and makes it easier to handle. Gently open the beak and pop a pea at the back of the mouth and over the throat. It gets easier and faster, with practice, for both you and the bird.
You will need to feed 30-50 per feeding [depending on the size of the pigeon] and every time the crop empties until you know the baby is eating on his own. After a couple of feedings, most squeakers get the hang of it, pick up the peas on their own and naturally transition into a seed diet.
This is a wonderful method for teaching babies to eat because they feel the whole food in their mouth and it’s soft and easy to pick up and hang on to.
The crop is located right below the throat and with food it fills up like a little balloon. The peas make the crop feel lumpy and squishy.
[/I]

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, little Dove is still the same. I am hand feeding him baby bird formula, (not a large amount), and giving peas and corn, and tossing a few seeds in his mouth when I can. Most of the time he just sits there with his head upside down, but if you talk to him, he will pick his head up and blankly stare at you. He did put his wing up (as if to wingslap, or in self defense) when I opened his cage to put a small bowl of seeds in. He is really young, because he did squeak once. I am just going to keep giving him TLC, and hope he recovers. He does not eat on his own. Hopefully if he recovers, he will learn to do that!!

·
Registered
13,045 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Torticollis

Well, my Dove is in a better place now. NO, no, no...he didn't die! I finally got hold of my friend from East Valley Wildlife. She said he has Torticollis...probaly caused by a vitamin defeciancy. But she also has some meds that she said she would try on him to see if that helps. She said he looked well fed--yay, I did something right!!:D He has a will to live, so I hope he gets better. Thanks for all your posts!!

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Well, my Dove is in a better place now. NO, no, no...he didn't die! I finally got hold of my friend from East Valley Wildlife. She said he has Torticollis...probaly caused by a vitamin defeciancy. But she also has some meds that she said she would try on him to see if that helps. She said he looked well fed--yay, I did something right!!:D He has a will to live, so I hope he gets better. Thanks for all your posts!!
So good to know he is in good care. Please let us know what meds are going to administer and let us know how is he holding up.

·
Registered
29,795 Posts
Hope he gets well. Thanks for the update.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts