Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dog caught and roughed up a racing pigeon. I can't find his club listed on the pigeons.org site. I emailed the exec. director but she hasn't gotten back to me yet. His tag says:

AU 2003 DCH 5238

The tag is light green/teal.

He lost alot of feathers but is alert and able to walk just fine. He has flapped his wings but I don't think he can fly. I put him in a box lined with grass with a pie tin full of water and scattered 2 handfuls of wild bird feed and covered it with a screen.

Can anyone help me find the owner? I live in Northeast Ohio. I am willing to take him to the avian vet (there's one in my area). How long before I should take him? Does he need to rest first?

I can't keep this bird because of my dog. If I can't find the owner is anyone willing to take him?

Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
I find a "DCF" but not a "DCH". Are you sure about the letters on the band? Unless someone has a better idea, if the "DCH" is correct, you may have to call the AU and see if they can help. Here is their number if that's what you need to do.
405-848-5801

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You are right. I looked at the band one more time, and closer, and his tag says OCH. Luckilly that's a club not too far from here. I called the secretary and left a message with the tag number.

Anyway I've made an appt. with an avian vet anyway. I figure any damage done is my dog's fault, the least I can do is get the bird a checkup. Plus I need to know if he has any disease so I can keep my dog healthy.

Thanks for your reply. I'll let everyone know if he gets home safe!

·
Registered
11,336 Posts
My dog did the same a couple of weeks ago

The dog will be fine, don't worry! The pigeon will need antibiotics and any open wounds will need treating with antibacterial cream.

Believe it or not, pigeons mouths are cleaner than those of dogs... of humans.

Cynthia

[This message has been edited by cyro51 (edited August 19, 2003).]

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
Just want to thank all of you who are so responsible, and take care of the pigeons that your pet dogs accidentally hurt. As a pigeon owner, I appreciate you!!

Treesa

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I still haven't heard back from the club secretary
I really need to get rid of this bird, for his sake. I hate keeping him cooped up in a box in the garage and I can't keep him around because of my dog.

I spent $90 on him yesterday at the vet. We had his wing bandaged and also got some antibiotics to put in his water. The vet said it is best that we do an x-ray on the wing to see if its broken because having it unnecessarily bandaged can be a bad thing. But there's no way I can afford to get an x-ray.

If I can't find his owner by next Monday I'm going to need your help finding him a good home.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Hello Zipper,

Thank you for all you have done for this pigeon so far.

Where in NE Ohio are you?
Don't worry, I live in Lake County and will take the Piji in, if you can't find the owner.

Keep us updated.
Erna

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Erna THANK YOU so much for your offer! I live in Macedonia (northern Summit county) so getting him to you would be no problem.

I am so glad to know that there is someone out there who would love him and take good care of him. I am afraid that even if I do find his owner, the owner won't want him anymore because he can't race.

How long does everyone think I should wait for the owner? I am afraid the club secretary that I am trying to contact is on vacation or something, so I don't want to give him away to someone else too soon.

By the way, here's some pictures of Mr. Winger - http://www.q5media.com/jess/bert.jpg You can see he has a pretty purple cast!

Thanks again for all the replies. I really appreciate the info. I am completely new to pigeons - until yesterday I didn't even realize people were so serious about pigeons as pets!

·
Registered
227 Posts
AWWWW, how cute!

I would be honored to have him/her, even it is just as a 'foster parent'.
Give it a few more days, right now the best thing for him is peace and quiet anyways.
You can e-mail me directly: [email protected]

Erna

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
Hello Zipper,
Quite the little beauty.

You are probably correct, in that the owner will most likely not want the sweet pij returned.

How graceous of you Erna, to accept the responsibility of caring for & offering the pij a permanent home.

Please keep us posted on how things are going.

Yes, Indeed, we love our pijjies!!!
Cindy

[This message has been edited by AZWhitefeather (edited August 21, 2003).]

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Welp, Bert (aka Mr. Winger) went home yesterday. The owner came and got him. I didn't get to meet the owner because I had to go out when he was coming over

The guy didn't want to take the 1/2 gallon of baytril water that I'd made up. He didn't want the vet's bill either...

I wish I would have gotten to meet the guy, so I could scope him out. My dad tells me he came with his kid so at least he may have some compassion.

He said Bert was just a baby, part of a set he'd sold to a guy in a neighboring community to mine. He said he wasn't going to return the bird to that guy because he was stupid for letting the baby get out anyway. Plus, he says the other guy sells his birds to someplace in Pennsylvania that uses pijies for TARGET PRACTICE! Horror!!

Anyway, I'm 75% sure Bert will be having a nice long life from here out. My dad forgot to tell the owner that Bert needs x-rays and that the splint should come off within 4-6 weeks.

I don't have the owner's name or address or else I'd let him know.

I wish I coulda given him to Erna instead but oh well..Thanks again guys for all your support!!! I think we saved a life

·
Registered
227 Posts
I am glad Mr. Winger is back home.
Well, almost. If this guy knows, that the other guy sells birds for target practice, WHY did he sell him the birds in the first place?
I, too, wish you could have scoped this guy out.
Hoping for the best,
Erna

·
Registered
Riyaz
1 Posts
A dog's diary:

7 am - Oh boy! A walk! My favorite!
8 am - Oh boy! Dog food! My favorite!
9 am - Oh boy! The kids! My favorite!
Noon - Oh boy! The yard! My favorite!
2 pm - Oh boy! A car ride! My favorite!
3 pm - Oh boy! The kids! My favorite!
4 pm - Oh boy! Playing ball! My favorite!
6 pm - Oh boy! Welcome home Mom! My favorite!
7 pm - Oh boy! Welcome home Dad! My favorite!
8 pm - Oh boy! Dog food! My favorite!
9 pm - Oh boy! Tummy rubs on the couch! My favorite!
11 pm - Oh boy! Sleeping in my people's bed! My favorite!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts