Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
13,048 Posts
Pigeons are by nature vegetarian...dogs are not. Dog food is for dog, not pigeons. I don't think you would feed your dog pigeon seed.
In an emergency, some will suggest using soaked dry dog food has hand feeding. I would use it if I had nothing else but only as a one time thing until I could get a more appropriate food.

·
Premium Member
9,476 Posts
Never heard of that as a regular part of feeding :)

I cannot imagine why anybody would do that when a proper pigeon feed - or pellets, I guess - supplies their dietary needs.

It is sometimes suggested that rescued squabs can be given soaked dog biscuits, puppy chow or whatever one calls it, as a temporary food. Is that maybe what the person was referring to?

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Don't feed you pigeon dog food. ... You can (secret being reveled) feed a small amount of cat food while they are in their moult. The reason is this, which is going to start an argument, .... Birds need amino acid to grow good feathers. Too many people think this comes from protein. They are only partly right. The protein that has the most useable amino acid comes from meat. Not corn or peanuts or any other grain or seed. Meat. So a little cat food during the molt will help. But I'm sure someone will feed all cat food to do even better since a little is good and really mess up their birds if not kill them.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Usually when people give dog food to their pigeons, its for emergencies only like what Charis mentioned earlier. They'll blend/mix the dog food with some water and other supplies. But it is not okay to give it to them on a regular bases!!!!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Pedigree is not a good dog food as it is full of grains and additives. Dogs should eat grain free, like Orijen or raw diet.
Taste of the wild for my dog :)used to be innova all grain free.

I can understand why people would use pedigree dog food as a pigeon supplement heck I might even try to mix it in with seeds as its first ingredient is corn more grains and some byproduct that no one seems to know where it came from or what it really is. some so called dog food on the shelves should not be sold as dog food.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
I know this is an old thread from July 2011, and this is off topic.. but about the dog food in general here is a link to some good info about each brand of feed..some so called high brands are not as good as one would think and visa versa... every dog is different and some do well on the no grain diets...some dont... mine get upset digestive problems on the one's metioned ..so I went through the list and found a cost effective high quality food to feed my 5 dogs that doesn not break the bank but they do very well on it. here is the link... enjoy!

http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/

·
Registered
4,867 Posts
and some byproduct that no one seems to know where it came from or what it really is

It should read animal byproduct, that is all the parts of beef or pork that you don't see on the shelf at the grocery store. So there really is meat in it, just not stuff people would eat.
Dave

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
and some byproduct that no one seems to know where it came from or what it really is

It should read animal byproduct, that is all the parts of beef or pork that you don't see on the shelf at the grocery store. So there really is meat in it, just not stuff people would eat.
Dave
Animal byproduct also includes chicken droppings. :eek::D

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
perhaps you all should read the link..it goes into detail about what is in dog feed... for pedigree chicken and rice dry here what is in it. all this is on the site..brands are in alphabetical order

Ingredients: Ground whole corn, meat and bone meal, corn gluten meal, chicken by-product meal, animal fat (preserved with BHA/BHT), wheat flour, chicken, rice, dried whole peas, dried beet pulp, wheat mill run, natural flavor, salt, potassium chloride, carrot powder, caramel color, vegetable oil (source of linoleic acid), vitamins (choline chloride, dl-alpha tocopherol acetate [source of vitamin E], l-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate [source of vitamin C], vitamin B12 supplement, d-calcium pantothenate, vitamin A supplement, riboflavin supplement [vitamin B2], thiamine mononitrate [vitamin B1], biotin, vitamin D3 supplement), salt, minerals (zinc sulfate, zinc proteinate, copper sulfate, copper proteinate, manganese proteinate, potassium iodide), added fd&c and lake colors (yellow 6, blue 2, red 40, yellow 5)

·
Premium Member
4,198 Posts
guess feeding dry dog food would not hurt. WHY. Because back in the mid 1990s I met a person who had 500 pair of cocketiels And he told be he learned to feed dryed dog food to his birds. 1 it was chep feed for hime 2 when he raised young they grew fast and well He would soak it to get it soft and the birds did rathere well on it. HE suppplied many stores and outlets with young cockatiels. AND mad ealot of money selling them. Not that I would have used it But I guess pigeon have ate worse And look at all the wild birds that empty your dog bowl. they love. Starlins, crackles ect

·
Registered
33 Posts
I feed a mix that a coop near OKC mixes. It is origanaly mixed for gamecocks. I feed it to my chickens and pigeons. It has several diffarant grains, calf manna, and a small size dog food in it. Pigeons are notourious for being picky eaters. If they did not like or need it, I figure they wouldnt eat it. They clean it all up and do good on it.

·
Premium Member
4,198 Posts
Calf mana back in the day would sure let those young birds grow And come out of the nest rather good sized. I used it some in the 70s As a supplement when breeding. Along with old horse mineral also. Which today red cell rather takes the place.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts