Pigeon-Talk banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Apparently they normally use cows and pigs. :(

Depending on what type of Jello you make the ingredients might change but they all have Gelatin, a colorless, tasteless, translucent, protein substance derived from collagen, which is a natural protein present in the connective tissues, bones and skins of animals, usually cows and pigs.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_are_the_ingredients_in_jello

·
Registered
225 Posts
Like others have said dog foods vary alot. Most of the cheap ones have corn as its main ingredient. I used to show chickens and fed them alot of pedigree lamb and rice puppy chow. It works wonders during the moult and also helps maintain a nice luster to the feathers as alot of the shows around here are fall fair time(Aug 15-Sept.). The earlier shows the birds were either not moulting yet or in the middle of the moult making it hard to find well feathered birds. The added ammino acids can induce the moult by a small amount of time in chickens. I started feeding some dog food mid July to some cages to induce these to moult faster. Other cages were held off on feeding dog food until the shows started in mid Aug.. I always placed well and won alot of first places just never best of shows. They never place a Game over layers/meat producing chickens. We currently raise BB reds but I have not shown any in a few years.

I think a small amount would be good for pigeons. The chicken meal is normally all the innards ground up and dried. It does contain poop but not dropping out of the coops. I have not raised dogs for so many years I have no idea which feed would be the best and maybe cat food would be better. I have added cat food to my parrots diet but they would not eat it. I used cat food because we had a cat(kids cat now living with their mother) and it had added omega 3 oils which may even be better for the birds.

·
Premium Member
4,198 Posts
you know when you talk about cat food. Back in the early to mid 1980s On the news It showed how some elderly people were eating canned cat food to get by Because they did not have enough money to buy enough groceries. SAD that they had to do that. But I sure remember seeing it on the news.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I will stick to bird feed for the birds.
aahhh those ideas are out of the window thanks to 21st century corporations, GMO's are all over the place not even your strawberries are what they really are :)

Either way I do believe that cheap brand of dry dog food can be beneficial to pigeons, this is based on looking at the ingredient list and making a hypothesis.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Most french fries sold are made of GMO potatoes to make them where bugs can not eat the leaves of the pants. All animal feed corn grown that I know of is GMO so it cen be sprayed with round up to kill all other plants(weeds) along with other things done to it for higher yeilds. Now the popcorn so far is still natural around here. I am sure the commercial popcorn companies are working on it though.

I do believe that a little dog food at the right time would be good for pigeons I would not put some in the mix year round. I now have all my pigeons eating later crumble made for laying hens. No need for grit or calcium when it is a large part of their diet. This product is made to be the only feed for laying hens in hen houses.

·
Registered
5 Posts
hai friends,

One of my friend told me that, we can give the dog supplement also for pigeon.'Pedigree' is a good dog food can we give it to pigeons with its feed ?

thanks
I have found a 2 week old pigeon, it is Bank Holiday Monday due to the Queen's funeral, shops are shut. I cannot get any special food for it, can I give it crushed dog biscuits and water?

·
Registered
7,797 Posts
I have found a 2 week old pigeon, it is Bank Holiday Monday due to the Queen's funeral, shops are shut. I cannot get any special food for it, can I give it crushed dog biscuits and water?
Can you get a bag of frozen green peas? Defrost in warm water, remove the skins and blend till it forms a puree. This will be a better option. In an emergency, you can feed soaked dogfood. Also make a puree from this. Also remember that there should be plenty of droppings inbetween feedings.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts