Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dog got to the bird this afternoon in the backyard. Bird got away with no broken wings or anything but has a pretty good size open wound under one of the wings. Luckily the bird trapped not too long after so I went in and grabbed him. I pulled most of the feathers away gently to expose the wound, its about 1" long by 1/2" wide and is open to his muscle and chest area. I cleaned it out the best I could with anticeptic and dried it out with cotton swaps. It is not bleeding anymore. I finished off by rubbing some antibiotic cream over the wound and putting the bird in a small 1'x1' wire cage inside my house. Gave him some fresh water and some feed. I am waiting to see if he has an apetite.

I wanted to separate him from the rest of the birds and keep him in a small cage so that he doesnt try flapping his wings and flying. I think if he does try flying he will just keep opening up the wound.

Please reply with any feedback or suggestions as what to do. I reacted instinctually with the cleaning so if there is anything else you suggest please let me know. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions as how to get the wings up to let fresh air into the wound.

Okay let me know, thanks.

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
The bird needs supplemental heat, such as a heating pad set on the low setting and a towel in the cage so he has something comfortable to rest on. You also need to start him or oral antibiotics. Do you have anything?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did not have a heat pad but put a nice cotton towel inside for him to lay on. I got a small space heater and hooked up next to the cage, not blowing directly on him but it warmed the room up even more then it was.

What types of antibiotics should I get???

1 - 3 of 3 Posts