Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks for your quick replies. We don't know yet who's moving in here. We may not know before we leave either.

'Our' pigeon friend does look like a bit of a loner. He checks in to see if we're at home a couple of times a day. He sits on a flowerpot next to the kitchen window to look in. He seems to know at what sort of times we're there. He's there when I open the curtains in the morning and again when I come home from work. We even thought about getting him a pigeon house.

I'm pretty sure he knows how to collect his own food. I mean he's a grown up pigeon so he must be able to look after himself. Right? I wonder if I made life too easy for him by feeding seeds and bread. It's hard to stop now though, I feel guilty to ignore him!

Should I stop feeding him?

If we could take him we would, but I don't think it's right to move an animal out of his habitat.

·
Registered
5 Posts
We will do that. And I will ask the neighboor to feed him.

However I want to do the best thing for him. Which is why I posted here to get advice. I don't know if people will feed him.
I just wanted to know if anyone had other advice or maybe a similar experience. I wish I knew that he will be fine without us looking after him. That's all.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks again.

We won't feed him every day from now on. Which I find hard because he's really 'living' in our garden and trying to make contact by sitting in front of the windows. It's quite endearing, he's a beautiful big bird. Is it possible to see if it's a he or a she?

Thanks for all the good advice. Less feeding from now on and I will try to get my neighboor involved in looking after him.

·
Registered
5 Posts
But that's the strange thing. There are a lot of wood pigeons in our area. He's not alone. But he behaves like a loner. Is very focussed on our garden. Today I came home on a different time than normal and he just sat sleeping on the roof of the shed. He seems to have adopted our garden as 'his' place.
I just feel responsible because I started feeding him and he eats out of my hand now. I will stop doing that. I will only throw out some seeds every other day or so. See if he gets back into his normal routine because I guess that would be best for him.

I do feel very flattered that he decided to trust me though. It's quite a step for a free animal.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.