Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
Belonging to a community/forum/site is new to me so if I misstep or break any etiquette, please let me know.

An adult pigeon found me shortly after 4th of July. She had a severe limp on her right leg, her right wing was droopy and she couldn't fly. Within a few days, I found a veterinarian that would exam her. She was x-rayed, deloused and diagnosed with a soft tissue injury between what I would describe as the human equivalent of our shoulder blades. She's healed beautifully and struts around and even tries to fly (gets about 6 inches off the ground). The way my property/garage/patio is set up, I let her stay in the garage with access to her own kind during the day. She comes in the house in the evening. Thing is - I have 4 sharp shinned hawks in the neighborhood and we've had 2 close calls. I'm not sure Grayson will every be able to join her own flock again and I'm very attached to her. In Michigan we will be looking at cold weather soon and I'd like to get her used to indoor living. Can it be done?

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
you could always keep her for the winter and try a soft release in the spring. I think that would be wise. she might not be tame, but she would be safe and have a better chance in the spring if she can join a flock or her flock. others will have more opinions so keep checking back.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Pigeons can take cold weather really well, Have you considered just fixing up the garage for her??

Another thing is have you considered aodopting a friend for her, to keep her company? Pigeons are very social...

Many members have feral pigeons that they have helped indoors. Some its hard to believe they ever were feral/wild, while others you can tell.

I rescued one as a baby (Whiteflight), he lives indoors in a rabbit hutch style cage, with my Mookee pigeon (also his mate). He is tame, so anyone that doesn't know, can't tell that he came from outside. He will eat from my hand, and snuggle with me. They get along with each others and with me.

It is possible....

-Hilly

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
When I first took Grayson to the veterinarian, Dr. Catalina mentioned that Grayson may never heal sufficiently to join her flock. It was then that I told the doctor that as long as Grayson could still have some quality of life, she would have a home with me until she died a natural death. I give Grayson the ability to wander outside and join the others (sparrows, cardinals, mourning doves, pigeons) that eat in my yard 365 days a year. Twice, a juvenilled hawk knocked Grayson over then seemed to not know what to do. I assure you that that hawk's parents know exactly what to do. Just this morning the young hawk seemed to notice that my garage door was partially lifted up and started to stride in that direction when I nearly ran through my own screen door. If I get careless and Grayson dies because of my own stupidity I don't think I could forgive myself. I work full-time and don't know if it's cruel to keep her more less indoors (be it in the garage or home) while I'm at work. I want very much to do the right thing by Grayson - I don't want to keep her from her own kind but I don't want to see the circle of life play out in my yard with a hawk eating her.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
It can be done. Pigeons are semi-tame birds used to live around humans. Most of them live “indoors” (buildings, attics etc.). I would say that difference between feral pigeon and house pigeon is only place of birth.:)
Large cage will do during the winter.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
If she does not heal well enough, then that really answers the question. she will have to be your "pet", you can adopt a friend for her if you are gone alot. but I guess you would have all winter to see if she can be released, but you do not have to if you feel she is doing well in your home. some do, some don't. if she paces and is thinking of nothing else but getting out and away then you will have to decide if she is well enough to live a wild life. its obviouse she is not ready now and her days out are no more. the hawk will get her for sure, try letting her sun in a cage made so the mesh is 1/4 inch no bigger as talons of hawks can get in at them...you can let her sit in the sunshine when you are home to watch.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What I think is the most funny about all of this is as a kid, if you would have asked me what type of animal or pet I would not see my self as ever having I would have told you "Bird". I have two sparrows that are 4 years old - raised from eggs in an abandoned nest on my patio and now a pigeon. Man plans and God laughs.

·
Registered
935 Posts
I work full-time and don't know if it's cruel to keep her more less indoors (be it in the garage or home) while I'm at work. I want very much to do the right thing by Grayson - I don't want to keep her from her own kind but I don't want to see the circle of life play out in my yard with a hawk eating her.

I'd suggest getting her a friend. Then you have nothing to feel guilty about, and the risk of having hurt is taken away.

There are a ton of different views on this, and I'm sure you will hear different/similiar things from everyone. In the end it is best to do, what your heart says. Not everyone has the heart for release, and if the vet has gave you advice on possibly not release it is best to go with the vet. I would think that with her injury, that she might not be as fast as other pigeons...making her easier for a hawk to attack.

Also, pigeons are hard for a hawk to get in a flock. If there is no flock then it is best to keep her indoors.

Just read a few post decide what you want to do and the forum membering will help in any and every way.

-Hilly

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
What I think is the most funny about all of this is as a kid, if you would have asked me what type of animal or pet I would not see my self as ever having I would have told you "Bird". I have two sparrows that are 4 years old - raised from eggs in an abandoned nest on my patio and now a pigeon. Man plans and God laughs.
:p :D :) So true...so true! :p

Thank you for sharing,

...from one who has several pet pigeons, raised from 4 days old.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts