Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
recently a pigeon outside my house has been showing signs of not been well he would come down and eat but then he would just sit there with all his feathers fluffed up an if you went near him he would not make much effort to escape but would eventually fly off he also seems a bit clumsy. i managed to catch him today and his chest feels quite thin ive put him in a cat carrier with water and some pigeon food is there any thing else i can do for him

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
recently a pigeon outside my house has been showing signs of not been well he would come down and eat but then he would just sit there with all his feathers fluffed up an if you went near him he would not make much effort to escape but would eventually fly off he also seems a bit clumsy. i managed to catch him today and his chest feels quite thin ive put him in a cat carrier with water and some pigeon food is there any thing else i can do for him
is the bird banded or is it a feral pigeon?
Doesn't matter as far as care goes........well, it COULD.......just asking the question.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
If he is reluctant to fly, eat… He is ill. Needs treatment.
Ideally Vet will be best solution, because of the diagnose and medication.
Please open gently his beak and look inside, can you see color of the mouth. Anything strange, liaisons, mucus, smell?
Check his poops and if you can post a picture of him and poops it will help.
Basic rule is keep him warm 27~30 degree Celsius 80~90 F in the quiet place.
Check if he is eating and if not, you need to hand feed him.
If you think that you cannot manage, yourself, post your location and someone in your area may be able to help you.:)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
he or she is a feral pigeon seems quite tame though doesnt flap around alot and will quite happily sit on your hand.it is eating and drinking had a look in its mouth looks light pink in areas and greyish no smell or mucas. posted some pics of it and his poop.bottom pic a bit blurred but thats how it looks all fluffed up other pic is when you go near it.

Attachments

·
Registered
11,336 Posts
Can you let us know where you are? He might need worming.

·
Registered
11,336 Posts
I hope we are right, Victor!

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
I'm thinking coccidia in addition to the worms.

·
Registered
11,336 Posts
If you would like to PM me your address I can send you some wormer.

Alternatively you could take it to:

Voluntary Rescue Centre for Birds and Wildlife
141 Woodseats Road
Sheffield

TEL 01142 55 78 24
MOBILE 07860 808179
EMAIL [email protected]

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Ok, what I can see from the picture, he is with abdominal pain. Slightly mucous soft faeces. This can be as already mentioned caused by worms, cocci, trichomonas or some intestinal inflammation. Possible treatment will be:
- Deworming you can use Ivermectin one drop between shoulders on the base of the neck.
- Canker treatment – Spartrix one tablet per day for tree days.
- Cocci treatment – Appertex one tablet
- If his condition is unchanged, then 5 days treatment with broad spectrum antibiotic such as Baytril, Ampicilin or Amoxycilin. Antibiotics require Vet’s prescription.
Some of the members of the forum in you area may be able to help you with medications. They are generally available from pet stores or pigeon supplies.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thanks everyone for your help i have sent for some wormer the one like you say that you put on his neck also sent for some tablets to treat coccidiosis and some vitamin suppliment for him i dont think they will get here till tuesday hope he will be ok till then.should i use the two treatments one at a time or can they both be used together. he is still eating but his poops look a bit green and watery just hope he will be ok.

·
Registered
11,336 Posts
A good probiotic like Avipro would also be helpful. I will always use that first for bacterial gut infections unless there is blood, but the avian vet told me to use it also when treating for worms etc.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts