Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hope, Pidge, Dave or me :D

So while we thought we had a male & female here guess we've got all female birdies.... Poor Hope was still confused most of the day today - kept looking at the egg as if to say "where'd this come from?"... would move it around but wouldn't even "sit" on it til sometime past noon today. All morning she was even chasing Pidge away from the nest. Poor girl finally calmed down with things in the afternoon and all seems ****** dorey again between her & Pidge. Though Hope still won't let Pidge sit on the egg for very long :rolleyes: Can't wait til the second egg comes - see if she has the same reaction - LOL.

And though I'm not the best (by far) with a video camera I thought I'd share the three videos I have made so far -- the most recent one showing how Pidge & Hope are teaching themselves to find their way from the downstairs aviary to their cage upstairs. Hope you enjoy them :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xTqfE7DLVg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3C9mWJ1SWI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZdhGLVB1w8

·
Registered
13,045 Posts
LOL...LOL...LOL
At least you don't need to worry about something hatching!

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
Those are really neat videos Dez. And an egg yet! She sure does have that perplexed look-what is that? where did it come from? In a few days she will be happily sitting on her eggs. Or they both will.:D

Margaret

·
Registered
935 Posts
Man am I out of the loop! Wow, Dez, I didn't even know you had pigeons....I mean I guess I should have figured it out..you are a member. I think, when you first joined, I posted on a thread you had asking about pigeons..care and stuff.

I then wasn't on for a while, and must have missed when you actually got them.

Well, CONGRATS on having two girls!
BTW: They are both very beautiful!!!

Loved the vids.
-Hilly

·
Registered
38 Posts
I think that is hilarious. My previous pigeon was one year old before she laid her first egg. Naturally, having only owned male birds, I took this to mean that she was a he. Imagine my surprise on Christmas morning, uncovering her cage and finding her present to me. It was one of the best Christmas presents I ever received.

By the way, your pigeon is beautiful!!!

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone for the kind words about the videos and about the pijis of course! I promise - next time I won't drink coffee before filming (Dave says I'm very "shakey").

I can't tell you how cute it is watching the two of them "waddle" up the stairs :rolleyes: They get to a point near the stairs & then they fly up. Usually Pidge follows Hope but they do take turns They were sharing the egg a little bit better today - but WOW - if Hope was ever to be an actual Mom she'd be fierce!! There'd be no picture taking of any babies unless she had to seriously take a poop:eek: She's sooooo protective of this egg (now that she figured out that's what it was :p ).

Hilly - The white piji (Pidge) can from a 911 group rescue I think it was the end of Dec - beginning of Feb. Hope just came to us a couple months ago -- so they're both relatively recent. A college student found Hope abondoned and I was lucky enough to see the ad for a home on Craigs List. She's really a doll baby -- and thanks to her being so friendly, Pidge is coming around. I doubt Pidge will ever be a lovey/dovey people piji, but at least we may get one or two head landings every now & then thanks to the example set by Hope.

You know - interesting thing I noticed about this egg is the shell is very bumpy - not as smooth as Pidge's eggs or the dove's egg's. Could this be because it's her first egg or because she's so young? The second egg hasn't shown up yet - so I'll be looking to see if the next egg is smoother.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Too funny Dez!:D Last week my 'male' dove Raven presented me with 2 eggs in his feed dish!:) At least your two are sitting them Raven took one look and said ' Nope ain't gonna happen'.

I loved the vidoes, was that the first time Hope and Pidge went up stairs on their own? You have two very smart pij's!:D:D

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Robin,

It was pretty funny watching Hope's reaction that night to the egg :D I think if Pidge hadn't "shown" her about sitting on eggs she might have done like your Raven. She was sure lookin at it like "where'd that come from"

That's funny about Raven laying the 2 eggs in the food dish!!! ROFL... and then didn't even sit on them :p Bet she ate the seeds around the eggs though - LOL

That video was actually their 3rd trip up the stairs... the first time was much longer - a few accidents with the sliding door (no injuries), trying to perch on some of the pictures hanging on the wall - oh, and Pidge deciding it was fine to fly through the two shelves of glass shot glasses rather than around the display (Ooops on my part ;) ). Luckily we only lost one shot glass. Pidge hasn't tried that trick again - so maybe that one time "cured" that curiosity.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts