Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello -
We've had our pigeon Rocky for about a year now - we live in the country and think he escaped from the nearby game farm and hunting training range. He hung out at our house for days until we finally invited him in.

Now we would like him to have a friend. We haven't had any luck finding a pigeon for him but there is a dove currently at the Humane Society - quite friendly.

Do you think they would get along?

Thanks for your advice ~

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
Probably not a good match. Eventually, a Pigeon will show up.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I have a ringneck dove and shares a room with four pigeons. She knows when to do and what to do to get by. I sometimes release her and she won't return for a day or two. Very tame and always gets chase by a local pair of doves that nests in a nearby tree. I would say no for having a dove for the pigeon's friend.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Hello, from Lindylou. I don't mean to be nosey, but I am just curious. Did you know that a pigeon is actually the same thing as a dove? Both are from the Latin, Columba Livia ("rock dove). All pigeons (including farels are from the species "rock dove". In fact the name Pigeon is an old combo of latin slang mixed with french (pi jon) (English: Pigeon). The dove is nothing more than a smaller version of a pigeon, but the same species. It saddens me that people look down on pigeons, but revere doves, when they are the same thing. Just thought you might enjoy this information.

·
Registered
21,207 Posts
I have a ringneck dove and shares a room with four pigeons. She knows when to do and what to do to get by. I sometimes release her and she won't return for a day or two. Very tame and always gets chase by a local pair of doves that nests in a nearby tree. I would say no for having a dove for the pigeon's friend.
That's very, very dangerous for your dove. I hope you will reconsider letting the dove out to free fly in the wild. I think you are probably a good bird parent, but I wouldn't risk a dove of mine that way. Just my opinion ..

Terry

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
Yes, please do wait for a pigeon. My first pigeon had a dove wife for a bit but he turned into a dove-hater for some reason when he matured and actually killed another male dove. It is just safer to have pigeons together with pigeons, and doves together with doves, though they both make lovely pets and have such great personalities. If you can't find a pigeon at the shelter near you, try asking on your local Craigslist, or check feed stores as they often sell them. Some flea markets or swap meets have them as well, or you could contact any local pigeon groups/clubs/racers and maybe find one that way. Or, there's always the shipping option. Good luck to you and Rocky!

It is true that doves and pigeons are the same genetically, and can create hybrids which are generally sterile but not always.

I agree I would never, ever, ever let a domestic ringneck dove out to fly. I'd sooner let my differently-abled indoor cat loose in the jungle to survive on her own. :eek::p They are sweet little things but nowhere near as brainy as a wild dove or even a tame pigeon. As Terry said you obviously mean well and love your birds, but please rethink letting the dove fly free. It is so dangerous. I know you wouldn't want to lose your dove to an accident that could be avoided.;)

·
Registered
219 Posts
That's very, very dangerous for your dove. I hope you will reconsider letting the dove out to free fly in the wild. I think you are probably a good bird parent, but I wouldn't risk a dove of mine that way. Just my opinion ..

Terry
I know, but she arrived on my loft and came in uninvited. I was hoping that she'll find her mate that was not that tame. But I do agree with you, I'll just let her fly in my flying pen only from now on. Although she did manage to escape a very tight hole in one of my rooms this one time. She was gone for like 3 days and then she showed up. Thanks for caring.

·
Registered
142 Posts
It isn't wise to let a male pigeon live with a female dove...things can get a little heated. However, if this bird is a passive bird, or female then you have less chance of the dove getting into trouble. :)

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
I know, but she arrived on my loft and came in uninvited. I was hoping that she'll find her mate that was not that tame. But I do agree with you, I'll just let her fly in my flying pen only from now on. Although she did manage to escape a very tight hole in one of my rooms this one time. She was gone for like 3 days and then she showed up. Thanks for caring.
That's great, I know it is so hard to decide when you are torn between letting her fly free--especially when she arrived "free" flying--and trying to keep her safe. Hopefully she will be happy in just the flying pen. I think it's amazing she comes back, they have such poor homing instincts usually. I do have a hybrid who is half feral pigeon and half ringneck dove, and he got out once and did return later that day (to my immense, enormous relief!!) I would love to see some pictures of her.

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
It isn't wise to let a male pigeon live with a female dove...things can get a little heated. However, if this bird is a passive bird, or female then you have less chance of the dove getting into trouble. :)
This is true, I meant to mention it too. I never had a problem with my female pigeon and male dove, though they were raised together. So if Rocky is a female (has she layed eggs? that's the only real way to tell lol) and the dove a male (they're pretty easy to tell if they're males with the loud bowing and cooing up and down and darker ring on the neck) then it may work. You could always give it a test run (remember to quarantine before putting them together if you do so) but you will likely end up getting another dove and another pigeon down the road. :D:p

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm pretty sure Rocky is a male due to the lack of eggs.
I actually asked today at our local feed store and they have pigeons occasionally - so I will keep checking. I'll try craig's list too.

Thanks!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts