Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!
so I have a lot of doves in my backyard and one is not flying anymore. I noticed her today in my yard and my dog went after her. Luckily I was able to get to her before my dog. She’s very active and her eyes are bright and alert. I put her in a tub outside with some bird food and water. She was able to get out of the tub but then just flaps her wings to get away when I walked towards her. She has a strong grip from both feet. She pooped regular looking bird poop and then pinkish bird poop. It doesn’t look like blood but instead something she ate. I can’t find any injuries and I hate to take her away from the house to heal up since she has a mate.
Any suggestions on what may be wrong with her? She seems to fold her wings normally but could it still be a broken wing? It did storm today.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Can you post a photo? Is this an adult? If she is able to flap both wings, then none is broken.
The first two pictures are from this morning. I took a picture of her first poops and then the pink poops as well. She’s up moving around and I wouldn’t have given her a second glance if it wasn’t for the fact she wasn’t flying.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Can you check under the wings for any wounds? The pink droppings are probably from something she ate.
I looked when I got home and she had what appeared to be a small superficial cut under her right wing but she was trying to fly in the catio(not used by cats) so I let her out. She flew low but far and into a tree in my backyard.
perhaps she was in shock when I found her? She didn’t seem to be but maybe disoriented from the storms?
Thank you for your help! I’ll keep an eye out to see if she ends up on the ground again.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Can you check under the wings for any wounds? The pink droppings are probably from something she ate.
Actually I missed what was wrong with her and I don’t know how I did. She was back on the ground so I was able to pick her up again. Will she better off if I leave her alone with a wound like this? Like will it heal on its own or do I need to apply medicine? I know I’m stressing her out
Bird Hand Galliformes Beak Phasianidae
Bird Beak Feather Chair Wing
Bird Beak Feather Falconiformes Accipitriformes

·
Registered
6,696 Posts
That's a nasty wound. If a cat got hold of her, she will need antibiotics as cat saliva is deadly for birds. Can you get hold of amoxycillin for treatment? You can rinse the wound with saline water and put some antibiotic cream on.

Keep her confined for now, she will need time to heal.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That's a nasty wound. If a cat got hold of her, she will need antibiotics as cat saliva is deadly for birds. Can you get hold of amoxycillin for treatment? You can rinse the wound with saline water and put some antibiotic cream on.

Keep her confined for now, she will need time to heal.
Okay, Will do. I’ll try to find some medicine appropriate for her but if I can’t, there is a rehabber about three hours from me that I can try to contact. I found her info yesterday. Thank you

·
Registered
6,696 Posts
If you end up taking her to the rehabber, ask for the dove to be returned to you when completely recovered. Then you can release her in an area that she is familiar with. Don't wait too long, infection can kill her.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.