Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today i noticed that my ringneck dove has some seeds in his droppings. There are only small seeds and the color is light brown with an orangey tint. his droppings were normal yesterday. what do you think is wrong? i would take him to the vet if i could afford it. last time i went, they wanted me to pay $580 just to find out whats wrong with him, and i dont have that kind of money. if i diagnose his problem and get medicine online, could it make him sicker if he ends up having a different illness? please help :(

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
It is never a good idea to use medicine randomly without actually having a diagnosis, because yes, it can complicate an already existing health issue. The only time I would consider treating with medicine would be if I suspected canker, because that disease kills and debilitates quickly.

Is the bird eating okay? Any other symptoms? Have you tried digestive enzymes?
do you give regular maintenance doses of organic ACV or probiotics to your bird?

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
Today i noticed that my ringneck dove has some seeds in his droppings. There are only small seeds and the color is light brown with an orangey tint. his droppings were normal yesterday. what do you think is wrong? i would take him to the vet if i could afford it. last time i went, they wanted me to pay $580 just to find out whats wrong with him, and i dont have that kind of money. if i diagnose his problem and get medicine online, could it make him sicker if he ends up having a different illness? please help :(
yes.
I suppose you could let Dr. "google search" diagnose for you, but do you really trust that? If you have no other choice then I would watch him for sometime before putting medicines in him .

now doves eat their seeds unhulled, so they use a grit they ingest which goes to the gizzard where it helps grind these hard seeds and legumes, so if there are whole seeds in the end of the digestion cycle then the grit is not doing it's job or he does not have grit. or it could be he just is not metablolizing his food which sounds seriouse to me.

what I would try is change him over to a pellet type diet, a good one is harrison's high potency fine. my doves loved it.

change over slow, it could be he would get more nutrition and easier digestion from doing this ..and then may not even have to unbalance his whole system with antibiotics or something else. this may take some time to get him changed over but it may be worth it. This was done with a cocktiel with the same problem but it was chronic and she did much better with the pellets, easier to digest.

·
Registered
278 Posts
No point panicking unless it becomes a chronic problem or more symptoms emerge.

He could be having an off day, boost his system with the normal preventives, good grit and ACV to help digestion.

If it doesn't clear up in a week or so I would go to the vet and specifically ask for a fecal test only. There is no way that costs 500 bucks. Here a visit plus fecal would cost around 30 euros.

He prob charged you so much because he did every test under the sun.
When I see undigested seeds I automatically think of coccoidosis but no point treating at this point, and you can confirm if it is with a simple fecal test.

However since coccoidosis is shed intermittently you might need a few days worth of dropping samples to catch it.

Any idea anyone? How long do the cocci (?) stay evident in a sample collected?

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
I had similar problem (I created a thread about this some time ago), made lab test and found out was e-coli, in fact probably some Adenovirus + E-coli.

If gets worse, that is, starts to vomit, droppings change to transparent yellow liquid, I recommend to treat with injectable Enrofloxacin or Lincospectin.

Otherwise, give oral Baytril for 2-3 days. For me, that changed the dropping color back to normal to severalș (4-5) pigeons.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts