Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw something about an all white homing pigeon one loft race and it got me thinking about my last thread about this hobby paying for itself. What is involved in running such a business? I did a search and found nothing for this type business near me. There maybe some that did not show up on my web search. Bird color matters to me but it would be easy to pair up whites with whites and colors with colors. Please give me a the high points of what I would need to do to run this as a side business and still clock the birds?

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was shown 4shared.com by my daughter just a bit ago. I found alot of pigeon racing books available for down load. Thought I would throw this tid bit out. I search for the book mentioned above though with no luck.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Foy's has some information on this. They also have fancy release boxes you can buy.

Basically it's like any other business. Make sure you are properly zoned to have the birds and the business. Make sure there's a market, advertise your business and hope it works.

I've considered it, but I'm not zoned properly. To have the number of birds that you would need for this, I would have to live on a minimum of 1 acre in my town.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No zoning problems for this area as I live on a 50 acrea farm. I know this business would be something that would need nice baskets/release cages. I am a carpenter and have a brother in law who makes cabnets so that larger release boxes would not be an expense. But does your truck need to be nice as well(my truck is dented and scarred up all around). I understand I would need a nice cheap suit ect.. What do think is the minium number of birds for this business? How far of a range is do able? I think I would need a large circle to get enough business to make it worth while like 100 miles from home. As far as advertising that is what you do when your read to start. I am looking at mixing the fun of pigeons with a bit of income and maybe it would grow to the point I could call it a second job(doubtful). So please give some vague needs for doing this.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
I would get the loft and birds first and then get them settled and in shape..that can take awhile..then progress to getting the other stuff you need and advertisements.. check out other white birds release sites to get ideas..

·
Registered
135 Posts
I'm just getting started with white doves and so far it's been a year and a half....and I still haven't officially started. What area are you in? To try and answer some of your questions...as many birds as you want to have in the business, its dependent on how big or small you want the business to be...one wedding or two on a weekend. I'm only doing 60 mile radius...that does cover a large area and you also have to think of giving the birds plenty of time to get home before dark and the amount of gas your spending going to and from the weddings.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Lynnwood lofts, That is more of what I am wanting to hear but from someone who is doing the biz. I have a choice to either to get more homers or white homers in the spring. I know it will take a couple of years before I get to the point I could start as I will have to raise most of the birds used as my pockets are to shallow. Just like any hobby I want quality. When I had walking horses I bred to world grand champions and my mares were daughters or grand daughters of champions. My fish do not come from pet stores with few exceptions(true mom and pop stores). So I need to decide soon what do I truely want to do with homers. If I get good racing stock I maybe able to send birds to one loft races in time. With all whites, dove release could be something to do but then I would miss out on all the pretty color patterns. When this hobby grows big enough I could easily have more than one loft. Just got to get started in a direction for now.

With all those that do dove release on here I thought I would have gotten more help.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Just get the best white birds you can and train train train and only breed from proven flyers from there on out ,that and get used to losing birds too .If you can deal with alot of losses and replace them regularly with other good birds you should do fine .I myself couldnt deal with all the losses so I gave up on the idea myself ,Im very attached to my birds makes it very hard to run a business :eek::rolleyes:

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
Thanks Lynnwood lofts, That is more of what I am wanting to hear but from someone who is doing the biz. I have a choice to either to get more homers or white homers in the spring. I know it will take a couple of years before I get to the point I could start as I will have to raise most of the birds used as my pockets are to shallow. Just like any hobby I want quality. When I had walking horses I bred to world grand champions and my mares were daughters or grand daughters of champions. My fish do not come from pet stores with few exceptions(true mom and pop stores). So I need to decide soon what do I truely want to do with homers. If I get good racing stock I maybe able to send birds to one loft races in time. With all whites, dove release could be something to do but then I would miss out on all the pretty color patterns. When this hobby grows big enough I could easily have more than one loft. Just got to get started in a direction for now.

With all those that do dove release on here I thought I would have gotten more help.
Iam going to be honest really in allot of places there really is not a big market for it I have found out.. it takes money to make money..advertising.. your loft...the cost of the birds, the feed, the medicine if they get sick...your time is all involved.. usually people who already have pigeons and a place to keep them and know what is all involved get into it by keeping some white homers and it goes from there. if you want to start off just doing a business then it is going to take money which you said you have not much of..so.. get a loft which is not cheap..then some birds..fly them and see how it goes and go from there.. unless you have money it is going to take some time. I built a loft which was about 1500.00 then bought 40 white squeakers another 500.. and then feed and labor.. I ended up likeing them so much I forgot about the "bizz' of releasing for others..lol.. now that I have a team and then some it will take more money to advertise..website?.. brochures... contact the right avenues...it all takes time.. I have done friends and family and things..but that does not make much money.. so if you really want a business out of this you have to have the cash up front to get it going.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts