Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As of early June I noticed my dove squabs (just a few days over a month old now) beak was starting to grow weird. It's so curved now that I'm worried he won't be able to eat on his own. He is fed liquid parrot formula with added vitamins and electrolytes via syringe and hand fed a seed mix. To feed him i gently place my fingers on the sides of his beak so he opens his mouth and put in as many seeds as he'll let me or liquid formula. Any help to correct this issue would be greatly appreciated thank you!
Bird Eye Vertebrate Beak Feather

Hand Bird Beak Finger Nail

·
Registered
7,260 Posts
That swelling on the lower beak can be the start of pox and this is probably causing the beak deformity. Is the beak always stuck open like that?

If this is pox, the bump will keep on growing till it eventually dries up and fall off. It's very dangerous putting liquid in their beaks. Rather mix the parrot food with a little bit of water to form a soft clay. Make small balls and handfeed to him. Let him drink water afterwards (the balls needs to dissolve in their crops) by gently dipping the tip of the beak (not over the nostrils) in a small bowl of water.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi, sorry for the late response. Yes his beak is always curved like this. He does peck at things on the ground but he can't really pick it up due to the way his beak is. The little bump also has not grown or shrank.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you so much for the help ❤. Today I noticed him trying to peck at a pile of seeds while feeding although he wasn't able to keep them in his beak for long he is atleast learning

1 - 8 of 8 Posts