Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

My ringneck dove is somewhat unusual in that he is 23 years old! (my mom gave me him when he was 6 months). Pretty good for a dove that usually lives till 12.

However, unfortunately he ate some pumice rock last year that tested fairly high in arsenic and mercury which made him very anemic at 1st. Unfortunately, my Bay Area vet, Dr. Spear (wrote dummies for birds), made the wrong diagnosis and thought he had vision issues vs. a potential stroke when he started to look up with the right eye. A week later he had what appears to be a stroke (not uncommon with heavy metals).

Nevertheless, this rare avian son of mine was told he should be put down and then I noticed him cleaning himself more (as if he heard the vet). A yr. later he now coos daily and is much better, though he continues to stargaze around 75% of the time vs. 100% after the heavy metals-induced stroke.

Questions:

What are exercises or suggestions to help recovery since his vestibular system seems to be off? Is physical therapy helpful? Acupuncture?

I am walking him almost daily with my hands as support and this has helped. He is now able to be alone in his cage and he can walk to his water by himself. However, he still has to fight to bring his head down to eat food from the ground and doesn't realize clearly that his head should be down/straight. He struggles by turning his head in different directions to eventually get the head correct.

I know at 23 years old that I should be grateful which I am. However, this bird ain't going to listen to folks that say, "well at that age there isn't much you can do". He will probably live another 2-3 years from my take on him which is almost a 23 yr. history.

Thank you for reading and for any suggestions.

·
Registered
763 Posts
23 years old! Wow... some humans sadly, don't even live that long!

You must be a fantastic, caring and responsbile owner to have him lived that long. Can we see pictures of this old birdie? That's incredible!

I have no idea about stroke in birds (or humans for that matter) but I hope an expert will be along shortly to assist.

I'm just really curious about this 23-year-old birdie.

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
What a wonderful milestone this bird has reached!!! Congrats to you and your avian son!!!!

Have we got any history on the bird? Was the bird detoxed from heavy metals when you first took him in? Also did you do a liver cleanse?

I would still seek out a holistic/alternative avian vet who knows the proceedures and try that also.

Meanwhile nutrition for the nervous system would help, if you haven't tried that. Has his digestion been affected, how does the poop look?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Miss Sassypants,

Here's a video with axelita keeping his head up mainly because he is cooing so much. It is 6 months after suffering from the heavy metal detox & therefore stroke :( However, you can see some stargazing going on in the video; this accounts for about 75% of his waking hours even though it doesn't seem like it. Also, this is in Miami where he does better with warmer weather vs. San Francisco where I live.

http://youtu.be/7gA7BITu3cU
---------
SkeyKing, thank you for the response.

HIS HISTORY:
- heart murmur (mitral valvular regurgitation)
- some fat deposits in liver (hepatomegaly);changed diet to less seeds and mainly Harrison's bird bread with Kale, some organic trader joe bread, and apples.
- heavy metal poisoning at age 22 (ate pumice rock with arsenic & mercury in contents); caused anemia & stroke 3 months later. Vets say: CNS disease, including cerebral,cerebellar, and/or brain stem/vestibular lesions
- Tested negative for PMV

TREATMENTS:
- during heavy metal poisoning, Vet noticed anemia without blood loss. He gave Cefotaxime and CaEDTA, sucralfate and lactulose.
- droppings now are formed green-brown feces, white urates, and
minimal urine

CURRENT MEDS:
- oral isoxsuprine (vasodilator - works great), B complex, anti-inflammatory every other day (meloxicam), omega 3
- ***alternative medicine for colon/detox: heavy metal detox formula daily, UltraClearPlus, Bentonite, Healthy Flora, Colon Cleanse, DMG, UltraInflamX
- ***alternative medicine for neuro: Custom Formula Neuro and Cardiac, UltraClearPlus, UltraInflamx, OPC 100, Melatonin, DMG, Phytorganics, CardioPlus, Yunnan Paiyao, CoQ10, CysterPlus, Oxygenics
***Skyped with Dr. David McCluggage at Chaparral Animal Health Center. He provide alternative medicine; seems great.

The vet who gave the wrong diagnosis stated," Humane euthanasia with necropsy strongly recommended...". He said the bird did nothing but stargazed and as soon I arrived and saw him he started to preen himself. Dr. Spear said, "that is the first time he did that." So I said to my avian son, "Let's prove him wrong."

So he is stargazing less (25% less), cooing, but I feel there is more to do - i.e., exercise, homeopathy (tried a couple - e.g., Plumbum metalicum)

If he can coo every morning and wants to live then I must find an answer to continue the miracle.

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
Wow, what a sweetie!!! Thank you for sharing the video!!

Yes, this bird is a living miracle but also it is also due to your awesome supportive care.

Big thumbs up on the omega 3, bentondite, B complex, gut flora and kale.

Have you tried Allicidin (compound in garlic)?? , it clears the biofields and goes down to the cellular level and works long term. I have seen so much positive feedback on this one on my birds.

Not sure if this was mentioned, but is he on a calcium supplement? Also, is the liver clear now? Did you do the liver cleanse with milk thistle? (and/or reishi, turmeric)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I do let him eat about 20 milk thistle seeds a day. He loves them.

He isn't on a calcium supplement...not sure what they would do, but it sounds helpful.

I haven't heard of Allicidin. Do you mean allicin? I only know because I read a post where you mentioned it and this sample. If it helps for stroke recovery I'll try it. Do you give your bird the capsule? My little white ringneck dove wouldn't be able to handle it.
http://www.qnhshop.com/Garlicidin-60Vcaps.html?page=1

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
Yes, that is the product, they just changed the name. You can open a capsule for her and sprinkle a little daily on her food. You can use a drop of olive oil or neem oil to get it to adhere to seeds.I'm sure it will help. Yes, I do give my birds a whole cap and I slick it down with a drop of neem oil. I have seen some wonderful results and especially in their feathering in long term use, but it takes a little while to notice. Calcium is extremely important for muscle/nerve function as is B Comlex.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts