Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a dove that got its ring caught over a toe and before we noticed, he had a badly swollen foot. I cut off the ring and left him in the dovecote as he flies, eats, coos etc as normal. I check him regularly and the swelling seemed to stay the same, but today it looks larger. The foot is warm so there is still a blood flow to it. It doesn't seem painful but I'm worried that it will get too heavy for him to fly. He is currently sitting on the nest so is easy to check. We remove the eggs and use crock eggs. Today the foot looked infected but when we tried a sterile needle it just bled. We sprayed it with purple spray, gave him some antibiotics and put him back in the nest box (cleaned etc). Is there anything else we should do? I fear the vet, as we're in France, wouldn't be interested so it's a case of DIY. Should we remove the foot and if so how? Don't want to cause him pain but also don't want the swelling to leave him vulnerable if it grows any more.

Any advice would be most welcome and "Noir" thanks you in advance for any help you can give.

Judi

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
What kind of antibiotic are you giving the bird?

Is there a cut anywhere in the leg/foot??..., if so also apply a topical antibiotic.

Make sure the bird stays off the foot also, best to keep confined for now.

You should also bathe the foot with salts that draw toxins out. I would also administor garlic cap and colloidal silver for infection. The immune system needs to be bolstered.

·
Registered
566 Posts
You should assume that the result of the stretched toe was to tear some viens which are leaking blood under the skin. If left alone, it will repair itself in the same way a human does.

You can help the bird by soaking the foot in strong solution of epsom salts and warm water (Magnesium sulphate). The result will be to leech fluid out of the swollen foot and in about 10-14 dys all should be well.

Do not cut the foot off; that is a terribly permanent solution for a temporary problem.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.