Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our old dove (Kiwi) who my mom raised and I inherited and have cared for the past 12 years has pneumonia. We took him to the vet 9 days ago and they gave us baytril to give twice a day. He started getting better, but still had some rattley sounds inside when he breathed--but it had gotten much better and down to just a tiny rattle. Now tonight he is suddenly back to where he was 9 days ago when he first got sick--gasping for air (but getting enough so far) and very rattley and not looking good at all. If he makes it through the night, what medicine would you suggest. He has been kept very warm with an electric blanket on his cage and no drafts--even moved him away from the windows that were cold from the frigid weather outside. Up until now he seemed to be eating well, also. I am guessing that this antibiotic wasn't strong enough and the pneumonia broke through it and he needs something stronger??? Suggestions? Thank you. Oh, he is a mourning dove and at least 14-20 years of age. None of us could remember when my mom took him in when his nest fell to the ground when they cut the neighbor's tree down. Sherry K.
You can email me if you have any suggestions--at [email protected]

·
Registered
42 Posts
Dove

I have 30 pairs of Doves.
I would have a heating pad under the cage and cover the cage so he is real warm.
If you have All in one - I would give it. A Drop of cod liver oil helps also. And put a little vic's on the feet and around the nose area. Not a whole lot.

Hope he gets better.

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
Hi Vibrissa,

I recently had a bird much like yours, had what I thought to be pneumonia and was responding to a combination of Baytril & Doxycycline. She stopped open mouth breathing after two days and her chest rattle was almost gone, but after a week or so she started to decline again. I took her to the vets and she received oxygen and nebulization treatments with Baytril and the vet added some albuterol, a bronchodilator used for the treatment of asthma, to the nebulizing treatment. He said he had used albuterol on a number of the small exotics he treats with good success with severe pneumonia, so I agreed. (Google: rats pneumonia albuterol)

However, what I think turned things around for her was that a change in medicine was made to an injectable one. The vet chose Amikacin and although she was really quite ill and I thought I was going to lose her, she responded well to the new treatments and medicine and is now completely fine.

I hope this helps you a bit.

Karyn

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you--I will take your suggestions to the vet with me today--he has an appointment in about an hour.

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
Vibrissa, I just re-read my post and noticed I left out an important bit of information. When the vet made the change in medicine, he eliminated the doxycycline I had started her on, as part of the Baytril+Doxy combo, but he left her on the Baytril, so she was on both Amikacin and Baytril.

Karyn

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
I'm using combination of spiramycin, Erythromycin, Bromhexin and vitamin E for respiratory infections. Doxycycline is also good option. I dislike Baytril.

·
Premium Member
9,478 Posts
Baytril can and does work. It is not necessarily the preferred medication for every case, but we have used it successfully for several cases of respiratory and other problems. I have had a couple I used it for before taking the birds to their permanent home - one with very wheezy breathing, one with conjunctivitis/sinusitis. Both responded quickly to treatment.

John

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
We took him to the vet and he gave us more Baytril and Doxycycline to add to the mix. He read all your posts, too. He said that sometimes it takes 2-3 weeks to clear up. He said that only one lung is having the problems now. So we will try this, too, now. Thanks all. Sherry

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
Hi Vibrissa,

Thanks for the update. I myself have used the combination of Baytril & Doxycycline on respiratory illness in the past with good outcomes (this last one, the one exception). I am so glad to hear that it is now just the one lung that remains to be cleared up. He is quite right about time, as in the three birds that I have to treat for a respiratory infection in the past, it did take a few weeks of time for a complete resolution to occur (bird looking and sounding completely back to normal).

Please keep us informed and you now know there are ways to get more aggressive in treatment with the infection if the need arises.

I will send healing thoughts Kiwi's way.

Karyn

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank so much :). I will let you all know if I can find this thread again in a week or two. Dr. King said Amikacin is good stuff but really hard on the kidneys--and because Kiwi is so old, he didn't want to cause something else. Probably for younger doves it is fine.

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
Sounds like you have a good vet. My vet also mentioned the cautions for Amikacin and kidney function. He did say however, he had never had a problem with this, with Amikacin, as long as the bird is kept well hydrated and the guidelines are followed for a short period of treatment. I think in many cases it comes down to risks versus rewards, and this is why it is so very helpful to have a good vet advising.

Wishing Kiwi a speedy recovery,

Karyn

1 - 11 of 11 Posts