Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello gang, This is my first posting here, I have a wild White Wing Dove that I hand raised from a baby, he is now almost 11. Over the last month or so he has been getting this kind of crusty yellow stuff at the very back of his beak (where it meets his face) it seems to get so big then fall off, but grows right back.. other then that he hasn't had any other problems. But in the last week I have noticed he is more lethargic, and when I uncover him in the morning he seems to be almost gagging and it only last a few seconds, he is also flying less. He is still eating and drinking and singing..which he seems to do non stop as soon as your on the phone with someone lol. I have attached a few pictures (they are not that good) but have you seen anything like this.. I would love to take him to the Vets but I tried that once and even the vet said not to bring him back unless it was a real emergency it was just too stressful for him.

Anyway if anyone has any suggestions I am all ears..thank you!!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Have you looked down his throat with a torch to check for canker? Any bird can get it through stress and since your guy is a pet he wouldn't have caught it off of another bird. Look for a yellow cheesy substance as you can sometimes see it, although he could still have it even if you can't.
Just a thought but someone will probably come along with better advice and possibly know what it is.

Gorgeous boy by the way. :)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you! that's what I was thinking, i have tried looking in his mouth and he doesn't like that at all. I didn't see anything but I had a hard time trying to look. I'll try again tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Since it could be present further down his throat you may not see it anyway, so it might be a good idea to treat him, just in case. I know the medication is metronidazole 50mg once daily for seven to ten days for an adult pigeon but don't know what it would be for a dove but I'm sure someone will come along with advice.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
I don't think it's anything to worry about. Sometimes they get these little tags like that. And he is 11 years old. I'm not sure about the other symptoms, but think they are unrelated. He is maybe just getting older. Can you bring a dropping sample to the vet to check for bacteria? When you have a relationship with a vet they should be able to do that for you.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No sorry they never did figure out what was causing it even after all the tests they did. He checked negative on everything. It would grow and fall off, then grow again. A year later he got really sick with an infection and they couldn't save him. Don't know if the two things had anything to do with each other. He was 12 when he passed. Hope you can figure out what it is just to be safe.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts