Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
okay, so i was just wondering what a dovecote is... i mean i know it is for housing pigeons but what happens to the babies when they get older and get kicked iut of the nest, and where do they stay. are they wild, do they get fed, oh and what are your thoughts on dovecotes!!!

i was just wondering what people did whith them and what they thought about them!!!

thanks, kev

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
a dovecote is a place for pigeons to nest, most have them in their yard or garden as they say in the UK, the pigeons are free, but are fed/water by the property owner, in most parts of the US we do not have them because of hawks, a few birds would not last long, but I think large ones for feral pigeons would be great to have. I have always wanted one, but the preditors would make it hard to even keep any birds. they are safe in the loft where they can be locked up at night and let out when I can be there with them outside.

·
Registered
875 Posts
we have several historic dove cotes in the fife area,most are stone built ,some are "lean to"or lectern design and a couple of "beehive"ones,they are quite large,usually attatched to large house(mansion) and can be very pretty,they have nest boxes inside and some have ladders for peoople too look afte rthe birds,mostly they are simply decorative nowadays,,if you google"fife dovecotes"it will give you an idea what i mean

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think that tehre sould be a dovecote in every city!!!

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
Your loft is very nice for a young one and it looks like you really take care of your pigeons. Sometimes there is no competition for our pigeons at these shows you can really learn a lot and I used to get upset because they are just utility in handling the birds and I wanted them to baby mine when they brought it out to judge--not ruffle any of its pretty feathers..You have pretty birds--wait till you really have competition and win---thats the real feeling----We all love our pigeons - and you love pigeons too-and its nice to hear about good things that you are doing with family (I think)..Best of luck to you ...c.hert

1 - 5 of 5 Posts