Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found a baby dove that can't fly in my backyard, if I keep hand feeding it and keep it in my pigeon loft (with my pigeons) will it be friends with them and then return home?
I wanna try and see what happens. Is it possible for a dove to return home if it has lived with homing pigeons? Let me ask in another way. If a dove is raised with pigeons from when it's a baby, he'll think he's a pigeon right? Will it copy what they do? Will it fly with them when I toss them? Will it come back home with them? Cause they're his family right? Does it work like that or am I just stupid?

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
First off, is this baby injured? Is it a fledgling? Are the parents still around? Can it be put back in the nest.
If injured he will need help. Are there any local rehabbers in your area that you know of?
This is a wild bird, your first thought should not be about keeping it as a pet. Do you know if it is a native species or non-native? Native species are protected by the state, so your local wildlife center should be able to help.
If a non-native species of dove we can go from there about keeping it if that is what you choose, but as for keeping it with your pigeons like that, No. Doves should never be put in with homing pigeons. Pigeons are much larger and can kill a dove in a territorial dispute.

·
Registered
27 Posts
injured dove

Can you post a photo of the dove? In the Midwest, Mourning doves are common. Good parents, they tend to begin nesting earlier and continue nesting later into the year than other birds. I'm assuming the one you found is injured, possibly caught by a cat? They are strong flyers and can be instantly killed flying into windows because they see the reflection. Birds don't really have 3 D vision, they have more 2D. Also state what part of the country you are in, this should help the knowledgeable people on this site to help you. I think Gimpie Lover's post was very helpful...Can you post an update?:)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Be very careful bringing a wild bird into your loft. It may carry diseases or parasites that can affect your birds. If human intervention is a must, a hospital cage away from other animals would be the way to go.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts