Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI,

So, I am looking at a group of mourning doves that hang out around my apartment building in NYC and as I see them trying to find footholds in the snow, I'm scared they will tumble into a snow drift and not be able to get out! Is this a rational concern?!

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
I would be worried too, but they probably will be ok. Do you feed them?

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
The doves here couldn't land this morning without falling into the snow. My husband went out and cleared a spot for them around the bird feeder. I would think the doves in NYC are accustomed to the snow. These poor guys here are probably wondering "what the heck is this stuff"? :D

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, in the morning, usually, but there was so much snow, I've had to change the set up a little and breakfast is extending into lunch. They are working out some perching issues, but so far I can't see any flutterings in the snow on the ground...

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Your poor little guys! We get snow, but a big storm like this is usually a once a year event so I don't know what they must think. The sparrows are loving this, though. They're flinging snow around with their beaks and chatting non-stop.

·
Registered
822 Posts
For what it's worth...we have mourning doves around all winter and they climb all over the snow drifts. We do have hanging feeders that the other birds feed at and kick feed to the ground...which the doves then eat. All the birds eat the snow .. Our local doves roost in the trees...I would guess the city doves find roosts under the building eaves. Toss some food out for them and they'll be fine.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That's good news! I put together some kind of platform out of garden pots. They managed. But I'm relieved that they can take care of themselves in the snow.

They must roost on buildings, but I have never seen them "at home". I should google to find some pix.

Thanks!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts