Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an open loft -back and sides are wood sided but the front and the door are screened only. Attached to the loft is an aviary with wire cage sides. My question is this- I live in Georgia and the winters are generally mild with maybe two weeks of bitter cold in Jan-Feb. However there are variable freezes throughout the season from Nov to Feb. I have put plastic on the front (the wire side) of my loft and left the attached pen uncovered. I am worried I have made things too airtight. I leave access to the condo (what we call the aviary) so they do have airflow- I left a 6" foot long gap at the top of one of the wire panels- any suggestions or oh my God's that is terrible advice would be appreciated.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Hi, It depends on how big and how many birds you have ???

A draft is where air comes in through gaps or cracks in the cage. Having your aviary cage open is fine.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have an open loft -back and sides are wood sided but the front and the door are screened only. Attached to the loft is an aviary with wire cage sides. My question is this- I live in Georgia and the winters are generally mild with maybe two weeks of bitter cold in Jan-Feb. However there are variable freezes throughout the season from Nov to Feb. I have put plastic on the front (the wire side) of my loft and left the attached pen uncovered. I am worried I have made things too airtight. I leave access to the condo (what we call the aviary) so they do have airflow- I left a 6" foot long gap at the top of one of the wire panels- any suggestions or oh my God's that is terrible advice would be appreciated.
Window Sky Tree Building Road surface
Window Sky Tree Building Road surface
Hi, can you post a pic of your loft
ATTACH]
View attachment 99314

·
Registered
8 Posts
So the door in the center between the 2 plastic covered sides is wire/screen, right...
Your birds won't freeze and the loft should get plenty of ventilation and light.. I don't know what you use for perches, but as long as the birds have a place, that is dry and enclosed like you have it they should be fine.
Birds sit with their feet near the underside of their body, they tuck their head close to their shoulders, and can lift their feathers slightly which holds body heat near their skin...it makes an invisible covering of heat around them.
Usually the only time this doesn't keep them warm is if they are wet. As long as the loft is dry they'll be fine.. I'm in Chattanooga TN, and my loft is all wood with about a foot of wire at the top above the front wooden part up to the roof... Plenty of air and they can come up to the wire section when the sun is out and soak up the warmth of the sun.
Most of MT roosts are near the wood side + front but not directly at the the wire area...so at night the birds roost (away from the wire part at night).
I'm an old man and had birds for many years... They are very resilient and can generally adapt or handle weather/temperature fluctuations...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts