Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before my pigeon Cluckle died, she always was drooping her tail feathers. I knew she was very sick and was probably going to die, and now I know drooping of tail feathers is a bad sign. But what really triggers it? Is it that they don't have enough strength to hold them up? Thats what I've been thinking but if I'm wrong what really triggers it? And I've heard drooping of the wings is bad too, I noticed that in Cluckle also.

·
Registered
219 Posts
In the past I did have a pigeon that died due to drooping wings. I noticed it and later it died that day. I nevered figured out what killed it. I was young and didn't know. I did treat it for bird lice because it was infested with it. It was very light too and did not eat much.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Same with Cluckle. She Died of CRD, chronic respitory problem. At one point she appeared to be getting better, so we slowly began to slack on the medicine, but then she just got worse and died, even though I gave her full dose after she began to get worse.
Maybe that was what your bird had? Was it gasping before it died?

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
Do you give your birds oyster shell?

Had Cluckle laid an egg bebore she died or been trying to lay one?

What else was going on with her besides the drooping wings and tail?

Have you treated your birds for canker and coccidia?

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think I have some oyster shell in the grit, and yes Cluckle layed a slightly deformed egg about a month or so before she became sick. Only the shape and size of the egg was unusual. I don't know if she evr layed a 2nd, I never saw it but I found a cracked one below the roof where she had been hiding. When cluckle was dying, she was extremley light weight, the bone in her underside was sticking out far too much, she had trouble breathing, made grunting sounds when taking breaths (probably from conjestion) she ate barley any food, I rarley saw her drink (though she must have been drinking enough to keep herself alive for a month) when I reached under her to feel the bone she would often stumble onto my hand. She (of course) couldn't fly, and sometimes was slightly gasping. We had another bird that died of CRD, El Pollo Loco The 2nd was only like 2 motnhs old. I still feel bad because I had know idea what the gasping meant or what pretty much any signs of sickness where (even severe sickness) and when me and my mom saw him gasping we though he was just tired or something and called him an oddball. I looked in his mouth that evening because he was of course still gasping and found his moth was covered with this strange yellowish stuff, and then he died that night. Cluckle made it about a month or so, I think she almost survived.
And no I've never treated them for anything but now we give the birds vitamins in their water.

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
Sounds like she had 2 different things going on that made her very sick. With treatment, sick birds can recover form both.
I suspect your bird was suffering from canker and coccidia. The medicines that treat each is specific to that infection. The yellow stuff in the mouth was likely the canker infection and the misformed egg was due to coccidia.
Jedd's pigeon supply carries medicine for both and it's easy to treat.
Also, the calcium in the grit, usually isn't enough. Oyster shell is very inexpensive and a bag will last a long time. It needs to be offered in a dish separate from the seed and grit and in replaced if it gets soiled with poop....good reason to offer in small amounts.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts