Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello, I haven't been here since my pigeon passed away but now I have a wild dove that cannot fly.

It was found on my lambs ear plant staying off of the cold ground and didn't fly away when approached by the truck, only made a poor attempt to get away from hands when picking it up.

I looked it over and cant see anything wrong with it but it holds one wing lower than the other one.
it is warmed up, eating and drinking fine, its mouth is clear, looks healthy but wont fly. should i wrap its wing so it can heal?

·
Premium Member
9,476 Posts
Hi

Where are you, and what species of dove is it?

Can you post a pic for those who may know better than I about breaks & fractures (if that is the problem).

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I wonder how long its mate will wait without seeing him/her, there is a bunch of them in my area and they are always in pairs.

I also worry about getting it used to the cold weather again once i can release it (hopefully).

·
Registered
21,207 Posts
That is a ringneck dove or a Eurasian Collared Dove. Can't tell for sure from the picture. If it is a ringneck it should definitely not be released as they have little to no survival ability in the wild. If it is a Eurasian Collared Dove, it would have somewhat of a chance of survival, but I wouldn't release one of them either. If you have a local wildlife rehabilitation person or facility perhaps they could assist you in wrapping the wing if that is what is needed and can perhaps give you a definite ID of the type of dove it is. Thank you for helping it!

Terry

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.