Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a foster Zebra Dove that seems to not be growing, not gaining weight, his feathers are dull and seems to not take in any seeds still. The rest of his "clutch" are clearly more looking like young adults and are almost ready to get back into the wild but this one still depends on me hand feeding him baby food or else his crop is completely empty. He still looks like a fledgling but not in age. I've tried to search for what might be the cause but I can't get a clear answer when I put the symptoms.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,974 Posts
Does he seem eager to be fed? What are the other symptoms? Drinking plenty of water, losing feathers on the breast area? Can you open the beak and check way back in his throat with a flashlight for yellowish growths that might indicate canker.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Hi, he could maybe suffer from a vitamins deficiency.

Just for example, a lack of vitamin B6 could cause a delay in the growth, skin and feathers problems, etc.

Viamins are divided into two main groups: one is stored in the body (like vit D); one is not stored (like B-complex) so a deficiency could develop in a faster way.
In add you have to consider that vitamins B have interrelated functions so a deficiency in one could cause others not to be fully effective.

Do you give him a complete vitamin supplement (vitamins + trace elements + amino acids)?
If not, just to get you an idea something similar to Omni-vit Oropharma would be good.

https://www.versele-laga.com/en/oropharma/produkte/oropharma-omni-vit

What do you feed him?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So sorry I haven't been back right away.. so i've been keeping him on baby food because he doesn't seem to be eating or at least enough on his own.. not much on losing feathers, it just looks dull and unkept like the others - like the feathers are not groomed and the others in his age are looking almost like adults but he's still tiny.. he doesn't have that kind of infection and he did go through a round of met before and the others are doing great except him :(

Does he seem eager to be fed? What are the other symptoms? Drinking plenty of water, losing feathers on the breast area? Can you open the beak and check way back in his throat with a flashlight for yellowish growths that might indicate canker.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
He is currently on baby food twice a day since he's not eating enough or barely on his own even though he's not a baby anymore.. I could probably try to add to his water some vitamins? but is that ok with him already on baby food? :confused:

Just for example, a lack of vitamin B6 could cause a delay in the growth, skin and feathers problems, etc.

Viamins are divided into two main groups: one is stored in the body (like vit D); one is not stored (like B-complex) so a deficiency could develop in a faster way.
In add you have to consider that vitamins B have interrelated functions so a deficiency in one could cause others not to be fully effective.

Do you give him a complete vitamin supplement (vitamins + trace elements + amino acids)?
If not, just to get you an idea something similar to Omni-vit Oropharma would be good.

What do you feed him?

·
Registered
5,974 Posts
Are you feeding him human baby food? If so, rather try and get a handrearing formula for parrots. It has all the vitamins they need. Otherwise vitamins as suggested. You can also boost his immunity by putting apple cider vinegar in his drinking water. 5 ml acv to 1 litre water.

Does he get exposure to sunlight? Only half an hour a day will be enough, but longer will even be better for him. Just keep an eye on him when he is outside (in a cage for protection).

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
He is currently on baby food twice a day since he's not eating enough or barely on his own even though he's not a baby anymore.. I could probably try to add to his water some vitamins? but is that ok with him already on baby food?

What do you feed him?
Not all the baby bird formulas are enriched in vitamins, minerals and amino acids (at least, the ones which are sold here) so check carefully the package. If it doesn't contain them, you can add a complete vitamin supplement to the drinking water. You can also use the water enriched with vitamins for preparing his formula.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts