Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there might be many breeds but can someone name a few fancy pigeon breeds that are easy to breed? I have enough Pakistani highflyer breeders, homers, and rollers. Now its time to go into fancy mode. So if anyone can name a couple or 5 breeds that are easy to keep and breed that'll be great. I just want to know before November 7 and 8, because thats when i'm going to buy some more pigeons at the show.

·
Registered
21,207 Posts
Fantails, Modenas, Runts, Show Racers, Show Kings .. Adding Frillbacks (another favorite of mine)

If you are not familiar with Runts .. go look them up .. the name is QUITE misleading .. :) Somehow, I think you might be quite enchanted with Runts! Our member here, Pigeonpal2002, has runts and is in Canada .. he is not a breeder of them however .. his are strictly pets.

Terry

PS: Please do wait for the truly knowledgeable members to reply to you here .. I just rescue pigeons and don't breed or show them.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ooo i have a couple show racers and runts lol! i never knew i did :p ummm but i want something that says, "WOW!" lol. Fantails might be a good one to go with...but i'll wait and see what everyone says, Thanks Terry :)

·
Registered
21,207 Posts
Ooo i have a couple show racers and runts lol! i never knew i did :p ummm but i want something that says, "WOW!" lol. Fantails might be a good one to go with...but i'll wait and see what everyone says, Thanks Terry :)
Fantails and/or Frillbacks then! They are definitely WOW birds to me! :) Our member here, Risingstarfans, would be a great person to ask about Fantails.

Terry

Here's a Frillback I got from our member, Rena, a year or so ago:

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is RisingStarFans in Canada? I really don't want to go through all the quarantine and everything again lol...but right now i'm just looking around seeing what i would fancy. Right now Fantails are looking good, what would you guys think of Old dutch capuchine's and old german owls? A friend of mine, a member of PT, Andreas Willms is selling some, but i'm waiting for my breeding loft to be finished.

P.S. You all know the rat/mouse situation earlier? Well it's gotten worse. There are a few more holes each day and our vegetable garden is all dug up. I moved some of my pigeons from my bad loft to the good one. I still have 8 pigeons in it though. They're sitting on eggs and so thats asking for about another 2 months or so in the loft. :( I just hope they're safe till then. For my next loft, which i am going to build to replace this one, I'm going to make a cement floor. And get the hardest stuff out there to keep those rats away. Even if its metal sheets! lol :p

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
hmmm those look really good too :) So right now its Indian Fantails, Old Dutch Capuchines.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
I do not have the capuchins but would like some also.....not only are they beautiful, but I have heard they are calm birds...one breeder told me he can go just pick up some of his birds...they sound nice....

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
Right now Fantails are looking good, what would you guys think of Old dutch capuchine's and old german owls?
hmmm those look really good too :) So right now its Indian Fantails, Old Dutch Capuchines.
Gurbir,
I don't raise, sell, trade or show my birds, however I do have three Old Dutch Capuchines. Two were rescued from the streets & one is an offspring.

Here are a couple of pictures of our Capuchines.

Three Generation Photo
Mikko (Dolly's Grandpa, Middle)
Malio (Dolly's Dad, right)
Dolly (Standing on the brick)

Malio & Dolly (@ 27 days of age)

Beautiful, Our beautiful Indian Fantail

I do not have the capuchins but would like some also.....not only are they beautiful, but I have heard they are calm birds...one breeder told me he can go just pick up some of his birds...they sound nice....
As far as I'm concerned Old Dutch Capuchines are the greatest.
They are very doting parents. Quite the entertainers, easy to care for, stunning & all around wonderful birds.

Cindy

·
Guardian Angel
4,163 Posts
First thing you need to remember is any breed that you need pumpers (foster) parents is NOT an easy breed to breed. I feel that the flying breeds are the easiest breeds to breed they are not hinderd by excessive feathering that needs to be cut away so that they can breed. One of the breeds that I breed is the ITALIAN OWLS they can feed their young and do a fine job, and they have raised champions for me. I wish you luck with what ever breed that you select. GEORGE;)

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
First thing you need to remember is any breed that you need pumpers (foster) parents is NOT an easy breed to breed. I feel that the flying breeds are the easiest breeds to breed they are not hinderd by excessive feathering that needs to be cut away so that they can breed. One of the breeds that I breed is the ITALIAN OWLS they can feed their young and do a fine job, and they have raised champions for me. I wish you luck with what ever breed that you select. GEORGE;)
besides the short face breeds what breeds need pumpers?:)

·
Guardian Angel
4,163 Posts
besides the short face breeds what breeds need pumpers?:)
Well the list is rather long all your short face tumblers, many but not all in the owl breeds,Oriental Frills,Turbits. There are others I just want to say once again I raise Italian Owls and never have use a pumper GEORGE;)

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Some of the pouter/cropper breeds needs fosters as well because the pigeon milk can bind and they can become crop bound.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I would say dutch cappuchines are just amazing they can get very friendly are are awesome parents...... no problems with them at all....
as for indian fantails they need a lot of space and dont settle easily with flying breeds plus they need lot of maintanence on the tail feathers if you want to breed them.....50% tail feathers need to be trimmed alternatively and the bird needs to be kept really clean coz infection is a major issue ...... they make good parents though...
owls and satinettes are easy to keep but breedng is a little hard

·
Registered
35 Posts
Another breed you might want to consider is the German Modena. Not to be confused with the Modena. It is not a large bird, comes in many colors and patterns, easy to breed, excellent parents, and best known for their curious, friendly personality. Sort of a rare breed, but whether you plan to show or just keep them as pets they are great for beginners or experienced keepers. Not a flashy bird, but is best kept for it's enduring personality. They do well with other breeds in the loft, and if hand raised make exceptional house birds.

·
Premium Member
4,198 Posts
Birds with longer muffs You trim them then have very little problem knocking eggs or small young out of the nest. PLUS you have better breeding. Then If birds are slow breeding use some vit E And it can help . Shield is a pattern You breed The better marked birds To produce it better. BUT feather flaws happen.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts