Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, as you all probably guessed I am seeking your assistance once again.

Okay so the last time I remember my pigeon Mookie laying was...nearly a year ago. She used to be consistant in this task however this year I was saddened to find she had stopped laying as usual. At first I thought she was just a late layer but as the weeks passed and still no sign of a clutch I grew anxious. I checked for the usual signs of hens becoming egg bound...nothing seemed to be that way. I began to wonder if it were because of her age.

I have had her for over 3 years now. When I bought her the shop keeper was unsure of her age (said it was just a mature bird). As she was my first pigeon, I took his word. She still nests as if going to lay...but nothing happens.

So here I am now in this little muddle, hoping someone out there will give me the answer. Please help me, I need to know whats going on here. Is she reaching the end of her life? :(

·
Registered
219 Posts
I have the same deal with my only Damascene hen. I believe her band is 07'? Have to take a look again, I've had her for almost 5 months and no eggs. So, I'm in the lookout to get a hen or two. Hopefully someone in here has an answer.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
if she was egg bound you would know it..they act ill and uncomfortable with the tail down, sort of like a lobster's tail. If she is acting normal then she is an old hen that is out of eggs. this does not mean she is dying... it's kinds like pigeon menapause...lol...

G

·
some hens never produce eggs even at a young age, so it doesnt mean your hens are to old but that they have some sort of ovaduct problem at an early age.. I have two such hens in my loft that I know about so I know this to be true ;)

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
Hey all, as you all probably guessed I am seeking your assistance once again.

Okay so the last time I remember my pigeon Mookie laying was...nearly a year ago. She used to be consistant in this task however this year I was saddened to find she had stopped laying as usual. At first I thought she was just a late layer but as the weeks passed and still no sign of a clutch I grew anxious. I checked for the usual signs of hens becoming egg bound...nothing seemed to be that way. I began to wonder if it were because of her age.

I have had her for over 3 years now. When I bought her the shop keeper was unsure of her age (said it was just a mature bird). As she was my first pigeon, I took his word. She still nests as if going to lay...but nothing happens.

So here I am now in this little muddle, hoping someone out there will give me the answer. Please help me, I need to know whats going on here. Is she reaching the end of her life? :(
She may need more calcium in her diet with vit D.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you all so much so your replies!

Good to know she's not egg bound and that she isnt going to die anytime soon...god willing. I really wanted to breed her though...shes such a pretty hen. Figures by the time I got her paired up she'd stop laying! :mad:

Will she ever lay again? Like could this possibly be a fluke thing or is she done for good?

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
Will she ever lay again? Like could this possibly be a fluke thing or is she done for good?
To get the answer to that it would be best to take her to a qualified avian vet and have them do an exam.

Nutrition does do wonders and may help and I myself would try it, but if it is hereditary and her egg laying days are over then that is it.

Put her on a temp. vacation type environment, and allow her lots of sunshine fresh air and lots of bathing. Make sure she has access to oyster shell calcium and regular grit and allow her to rest, no stress. A good varied diet and endive, curly kale for snacks would be wonderful too.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Trees Gray for your advice. :D

I've already covered that. She is relaxed in my avary, she has pleanty of sunlight and a big dish of water to bathe in when ever she wants. She isn't stressed at all. All my birds diets contain a good balance of calcium and grit...I heard about that years ago and have been doing this for ages. Especially when my hens are laying. So if I've done all this, would it be advisable to just take her to a vet?

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
sounds like you got all your basis coverd, don't know if the vet could tell you she is old..? you already seem to think she is...so. a pigeon when hatched has only a number of eggs and when they run out, thats it. some earlier some later. If you think she needs vet care by all means take her.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts