Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Guardian Angel
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,
I just found out one of show flights is egg bound. She was sick with salmonella and we just thought it was still bothering her. I was washing the matted feathers at the vent and realized she has a egg. Her mate died two months ago. I maybe wrong but don't think I am. I can feel a large object between the bones. Any help would be well appreciated.

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
Put her on supplemental heat and give her extra calcium, such as a Citracal tablet. But if the egg has been stuck for a long time, she probably won't pass it without veterinary intervention.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
are able to get her to the vet? at home treatment is isolate her and give her warm baths, if you can put a heating pad on low under a towel for her to sit on, what is her calcium source? you can try to give a 500 mg calcium tablet made of oystershell from the drug store, break it in half and put it in the back of her throat so she will swallow it. you can also put a bit of mineral oil on her bottom, the warm baths may help, but if she is unable to pass it she could be in danger so a vet may be in order, they have shots they can give that can help her pass the eggs.

·
Guardian Angel
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
she has been isolated for 2 months on a heating pad. Gonna get her to a vet tomorrow. I believe its oyster shell with red grit they get daily. She is probably too weak to deliver the egg by herself. She has been under weight around 220g since she got sick 2 months ago. I am feeding her by tube feedings. Thanks Robert.

·
Guardian Angel
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I gave her .5cc Neo Calglucon/Calcionate syrup. Its a calcium supplement supplied a avian vet for eggbound specifically. Had it on hand. Never had a eggbound pigeon before. The only reason I can think of is the salmonella made her to weak to deliver it then and since she is still weak she still cant. Thank you for the advice Robert :)

·
Guardian Angel
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Gonna bring her to the vets at 15:30 since she has been getting tube fed she has perked up alot. I just hope she can handle the stress at the vets I will update you when I get back.

·
Guardian Angel
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just back. The vet euthanized her. She had a tumor or a major lump in her reproductive organs and another lump which was possibly a egg. Thank you for the help.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
oh shoot!...well it was wonderful of you to took her to the vet though, some folks just can't do that or won't. she went without pain and suffering so that is a postive thing...so sorry you had to lose her.....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts