Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found my girl, Coconut, on the ground of the outdoor part of my aviary in the rain. None of my birds like the rain and never sit on the ground, so I panicked. I picked her up and she felt so weak and could barely fly. That was at about 10 at night and I have to go to sleep so I put her back in her nest, gave her some food, and left. Today when I came back from school, I went out to check on her and she was still in her nest. Now she can't fly at all and she is feeling even weaker than before. While she was sitting in her nest, the feathers around her vent were parting quite a bit, as if she was going to poop or lay an egg, but she did neither.

I gave her a warm Epsom salt bath, and she seemed to enjoy it. She pooped twice. The first time she pooped it was Green but fairly firm. The second time she pooped, it was very watery with little solids and also green. She didn't pass any eggs.

Now she's on my bed relaxing and eating a couple seeds here and there. She drank a good amount of water( about an ounce).

Should I give her some Grit? Maybe some electrolytes? Should I keep her inside for the night? Thanks in advance.
Liquid Fluid Tissue paper Wood Ceiling Bird Neck Sleeve Textile Beak Bird Beak Textile Feather Grey Water Astronomical object Asphalt Grass Freezing

·
Registered
5,538 Posts
Rather give her calcium just for in case. Do you have liquid calcium with added Vit D3? Keep her inside to monitor her droppings. She looks relaxed in the third photo. When eggbound, the wings will be hanging low and the back will be haunched and she wilk be straining trying to pass the egg.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't have liquid calcium but i will try to get some. Do you have any idea what else might be wrong with her? she's started waddling instead of walking normally.

·
Registered
5,538 Posts
Get the calcium asap. The egg might put pressure on the sciatic nerve and cause problems which can lead to paralysis. Their bodies use a lot of calcium to form a shell around the egg, so she will benefit from extra calcium.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Hi, I agree with Marina.
Once my pigeon Apple suffered from a temporary paralisys. She could not walk or do her "small flights" (she is a broken wing pigeon), she pulled herself along with her wings.
That condition is caused by the egg pressing on the sciatic nerve (it could happen during or after the laying of an egg): because of the compression of the nerve the pigeon could be unable to walk, fly, stand on both legs, etc.
Apple recovered in a few days, I gave her extra calcium, vitamins, I had to hand feed her and to offer her water in her nest. Fortunately she laid both eggs (she did not need baths or veterinary cares).

Here you can find some info about eggs related problems:

I use this water soluble calcium supplement:

If you can get it I would give her the highest dosage (3 measuring spoons per 250 ml drinking water).
I'm used to mix it with Oropharma Omni-vit, it contains a wide range of vitamins (even vit D3, of course), amino acids and trace elements.

Other than warm baths you could also try steam baths (you could put her into a small box or carrier then put it in the shower. Put a basin full of hot water next to it, close the curtain shower and the bathroom door. Let her there for about 15 minutes).

If you can find paraffin oil (here you can buy it in pharmacy) you can apply it with a cotton bud on her cloaca (try to apply it even inside the "opening"). If you decide to try again a bath you can apply it after it.
My pigeon Londo got egg bound (she could not lay her second egg): she laid it thanks to the bath and paraffin oil. Londo also had a cloacal prolapse, so just to be sure keep an eye on her vent area.

Keep us updated.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
She's doing good now, not near perfect yet but she has improved drastically in the past couple days. she can fly about 4 feet up (which is 4 feet higher than 2 days ago) and is walking around well. She eats and drinks on her own. Some of the other birds have been picking on her and not letting her eat, but her mate (who also happens to be her son) Is super aggressive and protects her. I can barely touch her because he is so aggressive 😢. He actually draws blood sometimes when he bites me. I don't know what to do with him.

·
Registered
5,538 Posts
Glad to hear she is better. He is just acting like a normal male pigeon, defending his territory. It's something one has to get used to.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
She's doing great now! She's flying around can now get to the highest perch in my aviary, which is about 10 feet up. Still haven't gotten an egg from her so i am a bit confused, maybe she just had a calcium deficiency?

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quick question, why is there little captions when I click on the pictures? I didn't put them there...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts