Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I have posted here before and have always received great advice. Some of you may remember me.... My name is Chad and I have what we believe is a king flyer. She is kept in the home and has never been outside. We feed her Kaytee Dove mix and some corn kernels. She always has fresh water... Here is my concern...

Over the winter she has layed many eggs. Of course they are not fertile so she sits on them for a few weeks, gives up, and lays another set. It has been about a month since she has not layed any more eggs. We have noticed that she seems rather "puffy" in her rear end lately. She has been acting fine until about a day or two ago. It's hard explain but she seems standoffish. Also, just now, when holding her, what seemed to be water poured out of her mouth. I never saw that before. I just took her food away from her until I hear back from you. My wife has been giving her ALLOT of the corn kernels. We also give her grit. I remember somebody saying something about the possibility of an egg jamming in her and I was just afraid that was what is happening to her. I have included some pics to show her "puffyness"... Also, for what it is worth she seems to have fallen out of "bond" with me and has been staying real close to our dog, who seems not to care... She is eating and drinking fine. If there is anything I missed, please let me know. She is about three years old. Any help will greatly be appreciated. Thank you! Chad

http://www.pigeons.biz/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=8739&stc=1&d=1209177858

http://www.pigeons.biz/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=8740&stc=1&d=1209177876

http://www.pigeons.biz/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=8741&stc=1&d=1209177886

Attachments

·
Registered
13,045 Posts
Do you have an avian vet you can take the bird to? I wouldn't hesitate.

·
Registered
21,207 Posts
Agreed .. definitely vet time for your beloved pigeon. She is likely egg bound. Please keep us posted. You can search here for some helpful threads on egg binding .. heat and moisture may help and may even allow a "bound" egg to pass. Don't mess around with this, however, as egg binding can result in a fatal situation for the bird.

Terry

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes there is a bird vet in the area... I am currently out of work and don't really have the extra $$ it will cost to take her there.... Is there anything I could try before I take her to the vet? Heat? Moisture?

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
Yes there is a bird vet in the area... I am currently out of work and don't really have the extra $$ it will cost to take her there.... Is there anything I could try before I take her to the vet? Heat? Moisture?
I'm so sorry to hear your hen isn't feeling well.

Heat, moisture, allow her to bathe, give her liquid calcium, and a drop of olive oil down the throat. A few extra safflower in her diet at this time would be beneficial.

If she hasn't laid in a month she is more then just egg bound, there could be infection so she would need antibiotics-but you need to get her to a vet. If she isn't pooping normal then that may be backing up too, and that is very dangerous.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok, we just looked and found out that our old vet we use to take our parrot to has closed. I need to try and find a vet in our area, Philadelphia...

·
Registered
13,045 Posts
Ok, we just looked and found out that our old vet we use to take our parrot to has closed. I need to try and find a vet in our area, Philadelphia...
Really, don't delay in finding another avian vet. I would say this is an emercency situation. Must be a vet that understands birds.
Maybe Waren knows of someone. I'll send him an email.

·
Registered
984 Posts
I just saw these pictures and as usual, the experts have weighed in. This is an emergency for your hen. Until you can get her to a vet, you might try placing her on a heating pad. Keep her warm and comfortable. Olive oil and liquid calcium may save her life. I don't know if this is a good idea but I soaked my hen's bum in a tub of warm water for 5 minutes and that helped her eliminated a gigantic blockage, and after that an egg popped out.
It isn't an exageration to say that perhaps a qualified vet is her only real hope.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
I just saw these pictures and as usual, the experts have weighed in. This is an emergency for your hen. Until you can get her to a vet, you might try placing her on a heating pad. Keep her warm and comfortable. Olive oil and liquid calcium may save her life. I don't know if this is a good idea but I soaked my hen's bum in a tub of warm water for 5 minutes and that helped her eliminated a gigantic blockage, and after that an egg popped out.
It isn't an exageration to say that perhaps a qualified vet is her only real hope.
I think your right about the warm soak, we had an avian vet where I work and I remember in passing hearing her talk about the warm soaks for egg binding or blockage. I hope your hen gets better.

·
Registered
13,045 Posts
Looks like it may be a couple of counties away but...Harleysville Veterinary Clinic...215-256-4664...DR. Brown or Dr. Wagner. At the very least, they may be able to make a referral to a vet closer to where you live.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Hey Philly Chad. Charis just informed me about your bird. My God, please get her to the vet. I hope she gave you my vet info. I only live 10 minutes from that vet. They are wonderful people. I will pay for her vet visit if you can get her there. Private message me if you are going to get her there. I can meet you. Please don't let money stop you from saving this birds life. I'll help!

·
Registered
13,045 Posts
Hey Philly Chad. Charis just informed me about your bird. My God, please get her to the vet. I hope she gave you my vet info. I only live 10 minutes from that vet. They are wonderful people. I will pay for her vet visit if you can get her there. Private message me if you are going to get her there. I can meet you. Please don't let money stop you from saving this birds life. I'll help!
Janet...that is a very kind offer.

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
Bless you, Janet, for offering to cover the cost! Chad, I hope you will take Janet up on her kind offer. As others have said, it's critical that your hen gets immediate vet care.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
THANK YOU EVERYONE!!! I just sent Janet a PM... Just came home from work, my wife has been trying to help her as best as she could all day. Her back end has tripled in size... The only way to explain it is that it reminds me of what a bullfrog looks like. My wife is soaking her bottom in warm water as I type this. She called EVERYWHERE today. The only place that would see her was a place called the PENN veterinarian's school... They want $175.00 just to walk in the door. Believe me, if I had it, I wouldn't hesitate! All the other vets won't see her until Monday... I don't know what to do!?! I don't even know if eggs come out of the same place as her poop. Sorry to sound so ignorant. We just soaked her for over five minutes as suggested. Now what? We rubbed some vegetable oil on her. She is pooping but can't walk right. She also seems very upset. Where would I get liquid calcium from? ANYTHING anyone might be able to suggest to help her would GREATLY be appreciated. She is my buddy. I don't want to lose her. I am waiting for Janet to get back to me. I live in Center city Philadelphia and will drive wherever I need to go... The one shelter my wife called said it would be best to just put her down. I don't want to do that! PLEASE HELP US!!! CHad

·
Registered
13,045 Posts
I just sent you a private message with Janet's phone number. She said for you to call her right away.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Poor thing. Make sure you warm and dry her right off after that soak, maybe it made her more comfortable. And yeah everything comes out of the same hole.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Hey everyone, I talked to Chad, he did get his bird to the vet last night. He took her to the University of Pa Veterinary Clinic. I called him again this morning, but there was no answer. I noticed he left some p.m. so I quickly checked them. The last one was a 2am, so there probably sleeping now. I'm not really sure what he was trying to say in the p.m., so before I give any info out about Alphabet, maybe we'll wait to hear from him.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
Hey everyone, I talked to Chad, he did get his bird to the vet last night. He took her to the University of Pa Veterinary Clinic. I called him again this morning, but there was no answer. I noticed he left some p.m. so I quickly checked them. The last one was a 2am, so there probably sleeping now. I'm not really sure what he was trying to say in the p.m., so before I give any info out about Alphabet, maybe we'll wait to hear from him.
keep us posted, sending good karma....:)

1 - 20 of 32 Posts