Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm pretty new with homers and this is my first spring with birds and one of my hens finally laid an egg today. Kind of excited about it, but I now have a question.

She laid her egg in the nest box, but not in the nest bowl. I put the bowls in a few weeks ago and the first thing they did was remove the nesting material and put it on the floor of the nest box. So that is where the egg was laid and there is hardly any nesting material under it at all, so basically it is on the wood. Should I move the egg into the nest bowl or at least put bedding under it or just leave it alone? I assume she will lay another in the next day or so. I live in Michigan so it is pretty cold here still. I put excelsior grass in loft for the nests to be built with and I do have some tobacco stems as well that I could put in. I don’t want to mess with them if they will abandon them. What is a newbie to do?:)

Jim

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
they will on sit on the egg only after they lay the 2nd egg, you can try move the first egg to the nest bowl & hopefully they will lay the 2nd one there too.

·
Banned
1,073 Posts
You could try to put a nest bowl on the ground, and then put some nesting material in there and put the egg in there, see what happens. If you really want to hatch the eggs, if you don't have pumpers maybe you can find someone that has a few. Good luck.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Matt, the egg is in the Nest Box now, that is where it was laid. But it is next to the bowl and on the bottom of the nest box, not the floor of the loft.

·
Banned
1,073 Posts
Oh, move the nest bowl where the egg was laid and put it in there, with some nesting material. They may not want to sit on it, if they don't ask here what to do, I wont type all of it up if I don't have too.

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
Rock, do you have any plastic or wooden eggs? If so, replace the real egg with a dummy egg. Take the real one in the house and put it somewhere safe. Don't have to keep it warm. Room temp is fine. Put the dummy egg in the bowl and wait to see where she lays the second egg. Once she lays the second one, give her the real one back. I would put the dummy egg in the bowl, but put lots of nesting material where she laid the egg, so if she goes back to that spot, at least the baby will have plenty of nest.

PS: It's possible that she just "missed" the bowl when she laid the egg and really MEANT for it to be IN the bowl.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the tips. I'll let you know how it works out.
She was sitting on the single egg this morning. No second egg yet.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Talk about crazy things , i was checking up on my birds looking for new eggs from a pair i caught mating some time ago and i looked in the cage and nothing? and as i was going to leave something caught my eye that didn't look just right? Well of all places an egg was laid on a perch? nothing there but an egg thank God it was level and didn't roll off and splat-- I then placed it on the floor in a corner of the cage and everything worked out OK, second egg laid no problems! Raise birds long enough and you'll see all kinds of odd things happen!:)

·
Registered
328 Posts
Deejay,
I actually saw a hen lay an egg on the floor of the loft a week or so ago. Two days ago when my birds were landing a hen laid an egg on the landing board. This time of year a lot of goofy things happen with the birds.

yits

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I wasn't prepared, so I didn't have wooden eggs yet so I just slipped more nesting material under the egg yesterday while the birds were eating. I didn't try to put them in the nest bowl. She was sitting on it later in the day. Tonight I went out and looked and now there are three eggs! I guess I should take one out. One egg looks like it has some dark specs on it.

Should I discard that one now or maybe wait and candle them and find out if they are all good? How long should I wait to candle them? Thanks, Jim.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts