Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My swing hen laid an egg on the floor in the middle of the loft and it broke?

What causes such behavior? she had a nest, bowl everything needed. She had egg before this one as well. I'm just kinda pissed off as I was counting on this pair so much and again they fail!

W. T. H...!

·
Registered
13,048 Posts
There's no need to be angry. This kind of stuff just happens and the hen didn't do it to make you mad.
Do you think this is the only opportunity for eggs? I guarantee you..plenty will follow.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
They do it on occasion. I have my tippler/high flier hens seperated right now and they've been alone for a while so they've been laying eggs like madness lately! The other day, I saw one sitting on a T perch, and literally just laid the egg over the T perch and it dropped to the ground and cracked open like an...egg. She made no effort to lay it on the ground or in a nest box, but she laid it in mid air haha!

You'll get more eggs on the ground and they'll crack so don't be angry. Pigeons are good breeders and you'll have more eggs in no time. Maybe lock her up in a nest box next time so she can only lay in there?

·
Registered
540 Posts
provide food at all times next to the nest bowl it encourages females to stay on the nest so she doesn't walk about and forage. I had this happen because of the way I scheduled feeding time, also with young parents especially breeds that don't take very good care like helmets I use wood eggs for couple of times then I let them hatch their eggs this way they have some practice I noticed that this way they take care of their eggs better

·
Registered
386 Posts
My swing hen laid an egg on the floor in the middle of the loft and it broke?

What causes such behavior? she had a nest, bowl everything needed. She had egg before this one as well. I'm just kinda pissed off as I was counting on this pair so much and again they fail!

W. T. H...!
A hen will usually lay where the cock guides her to lay. Chances are, that's where the cock chose and the hen laid the egg there.

I have a pair of birds that are currently sitting on eggs ON THE FLOOR even though I have nest bowls and even make shift nest boxes. Unless you are breeding them in individual nest boxes (locked compartments), there will be a select few that will inevitably choose to lay on the ground and that's fine. So long as you provide them with nesting materials (pine needles are my preference) they will build a decent little nest and the eggs will stay there.

BTW, pigeons are not human and they do not do things to get you mad or upset. Getting mad and upset will do nothing for your birds except get you mad and upset for nothing. Enjoy the birds.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I should have used words such us disappointment rather than pissed off. I have other pigeons that will soon lay eggs so its not a big deal but as I said I like that pair a lot and had high hopes for them since they had their first egg (only one egg) month back and it was infertile. Tomorrow she will most likely lay another egg and that hopefully will not be on the floor :)

I also must agree with sdymacz due to my work I feed my birds at different times and I think this happened when I was calling them for feeding, then 5min later egg on the floor.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
I should have used words such us disappointment rather than pissed off. I have other pigeons that will soon lay eggs so its not a big deal but as I said I like that pair a lot and had high hopes for them since they had their first egg (only one egg) month back and it was infertile. Tomorrow she will most likely lay another egg and that hopefully will not be on the floor :)

I also must agree with sdymacz due to my work I feed my birds at different times and I think this happened when I was calling them for feeding, then 5min later egg on the floor.
I know it can be frustrating esp when you want hatchings from certains pairs it seems like something goes wrong. but pigeons lay allot of eggs and Iam sure you will get hatchings from them at some point.. in the mean time I would check your nest boxes to make sure eggs can't roll out so easy.. also if she does lay on the floor and that is the problem then you will need to lock these up in the nest box for a spell to get them to use it. another senerio is if you have other pairs that are in a nest box and they lay near the time of this pair you want young from you can foster the egg/s out if they lay on the floor again.. you can pick up the egg/s off the floor and hold them till another pair lays and swap the eggs out.. if you do end up doing that give extra calcium in the water for the hen/ pair you want young from and wait another two weeks and lock the pair in the nest box so they may lay the next clutch in the nest box and then you possibley can have four young from this pair.. I would not do this but once as her calcium can get depleted. good luck.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Once I adjusted my feeding schedule and provided food near the nesting area no more lost eggs. Also adjusting their feed content helps, this way I can hopper feed the birds without adding weight and they don't look for food near nest boxes disturbing breeders. I use empty pikpot earthenware jars for feed. Give them at least a month between eggs to get calcium levels up that's when I give them wooden eggs and like spirit wings said calcium infused water helps. One of my pairs were successful on fifth round, first time laying females sometimes have single egg, thin shell, odd shape and infertile eggs. Soon You will have little ones there:D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.