Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
At the end of May I found a 4 1/2 week old king left in the park. Couldn't fly more than about a foot off the ground. Probably bought from a nearby market (and then left by a pond with a nearby active Raven's nest and the occasional off-leash dog). Had to be hand-fed.

After a lot of triage for respiratory ailments he finally got better. By the beginning of June he was basically living on my shoulder. By the end of June he was making little gurgling noises, his first cooing. Within a week he was doing his little circle dance, with head bobbing. In the last month or so he added holding his tail straight down during the dance and then lately, charging towards me. All typical male behavior as far as I know.

The last few days he's been cozying up to me a lot and making the one one one one one noise non-stop and doing a funny dance.Today I left him on my bed for a few minutes and when I walked back in there he was, giving me this funny look and there was an egg next to him.

Here are my questions:

• So I know pigeons are smart- is it possible a female somehow snuck in and laid that egg and got back out again?
  • Otherwise, I've never owned a Cockatrice and I can't find any information on the web on their care (other than I need a toad to incubate the egg). Do I have to wear special glasses to avoid being killed?
  • Lastly, should I wait for a second egg (1.5 days?), or take this one, or leave both for a while, or what??

Totally lost on how to proceed and not sure what course would be the least traumatic.

thanks!

Rudyard
SF, CA

https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/29809070810/in/album-72157673558443750/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/30069328546/in/album-72157673558443750/

·
Registered
6,822 Posts
You may have a female, who should be laying a second egg shortly. Congrats! Do not remove the eggs or the bird will keep laying them depleting all her stores of calcium. You can swap them out for fake plastic or wood pigeon eggs though because with one bird they won't hatch and can break. We let Lucy and Tracy sit on their eggs until they lose interest in them. We also give Calciboost in their water which has calcium and d-3. Couldn't see the videos because I don't have a yahoo account.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Yeh, the links don't work for everyone. I hope you keep her in a cage when you aren't around. I would put the egg in there in some sort of little nest. Keep her in the cage till she lays the second one. As was mentioned, if you just take the eggs, she will just keep laying to replace it, and that would be very bad for her. So you want her to sit on these eggs for the 18 days it takes to hatch a fertile egg. Then she should get tired of it not hatching, and she will start all over again. Because you are moving it from the bed, she may abandon it anyway. She should want to spend time sitting on her eggs, so you probably won't see the same little companion that she has been up to now. She is viewing you as her mate.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts