Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I was just down in the loft, and one of the 'baby birds' (about 4 - 6 wks of age I would guess (It just came into the loft a few days ago as an unflighted bird). His first time (hopefully last time) making this mistake...

This 'baby bird' just found himself in the wrong side of the loft and being heavily reprimanded by 'momma bird' who's sitting on her two eggs. She followed him to another box and kept on him. I opened the (human) door to get him out, and relieve her stress. She flew out, and he trampled about the eggs getting out. Enough that they were rotated and one standing a bit on end within the nest... I right sided the egg and hope I didn't make things worse.

What is the likely outcome now? Eggs are intact, and other than getting jostled, seem fine. They were laid on the 31st of last month and the 2nd of this month.

·
Registered
29,795 Posts
They are probably fine. These things do happen in a loft. Have had cocks fighting for a nest box and upset eggs and they were fine.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They are probably fine. These things do happen in a loft. Have had cocks fighting for a nest box and upset eggs and they were fine.
Thank you, I feel better now - and hope you are right. She laid a nest where I wouldn't have wished she had (corner of the back corner floor) but as a first time mommie, and it not being near a door, I thought I'd give her a break for not staying in -her- chosen nest box (of which she was even given two choices for). I did lock her into that side of the loft by herself for the night in hopes it will keep her stress free...

Fingers crossed...

·
Registered
29,795 Posts
I really think they will be fine. Let us know the outcome. And try to get her into her box next time. LOL.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I really think they will be fine. Let us know the outcome. And try to get her into her box next time. LOL.
Well looked like shed picked a box, then middle of the afternoon - boom! Egg #1. Sooooooo help me out here, next time you'd suggest I'd do what? Only thing I can think of is put her egg in the nest box it looked like she had picked...

Seriously, if you have some good proven thoughts, plz share :)

·
Registered
862 Posts
Here is one for you. I have a hen that was egg bound a couple days until I gave her a calcium D3 pill and massaged around her vent. I put her back in the loft and she had the egg in her nestbowl. The egg however had 2 dents and the shell was partially eroded from her bowels. Another unmated hen had laid an egg on the floor of the loft. So I took the egg from the floor cut it around the middle with a razor as I saw in a book and capped the egg with the new shell top and bottom. I will let you know if it hatches

·
Registered
29,795 Posts
If you took the egg and put it in the box, and locked her in there till she laid the second egg, I would think she would stay on them in there. Isn't she paired? Usually the male picks the place somewhat.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey Jay,
It's a first time set of birds - for both. She's laid both eggs. I would say she's paired. Correct me here if I am wrong. She's mated with a male and seems very loyal to him. Keep in mind these birds arrived in Feb and were the first three in the new loft ... She mated with the male near her age. The third bird was an unflighted baby. I am sure he's a male as he is very territorial with everyone (I've since added and have 9 birds grand total). He seems to wish to possibly mate with her? He doesn't exactly drive her thou. He does try to keep her away from the flock and food. Given his age maybe he's not sure what to do? Like I said he came as a just feathered, never flown bird in feb. These two others came for company for him to not be a single bird in the loft. I'm sure they were flighted and thus they're prisoners.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts