Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of my pairs have laid eggs more than 3 weeks ago and the eggs are still not hatched. I'm a bit concerned. And I've seen the female getting straws yesterday while the male was sitting on eggs. This morning I've seen the male sitting outside the egg before going back onto the eggs. Are those any signs? Should I be concerned? What should I do now?

Please note, the weather has been cold for last week or so.

·
Registered
364 Posts
You could do this technique. Take one egg at a time, find a powerful flashlight. Go into a dark area pitch black, preferrably a closet. Turn the light on, shine it through the bottom or top, now what do you see?

Dead egg or dead embryo:

it will be clear, or have an air bubble. or dark if its old.
after 5 days you can always see veins. if no veins, then most likely they're dead or infertile.

Alive embryo or ready to hatch:
if you see spider web veins, (big red veins) and a little black thriving body, most likely you can see movement after 5 days usaully at 17 days my eggs really get to kicking . you will know. Just got done with that, my 4 weak old babys.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You could do this technique. Take one egg at a time, find a powerful flashlight. Go into a dark area pitch black, preferrably a closet. Turn the light on, shine it through the bottom or top, now what do you see?

Dead egg or dead embryo:

after 5 days you can always see veins. if no veins, then most likely they're dead or infertile.

if you see spider web veins, (big red veins) and a little black thriving body, most likely you can see movement after 5 days usaully at 17 days my eggs really get to kicking . you will know. Just got done with that, my 4 weak old babys.
Thanks for your advice. My only concern is, if I touch the egg then the pigeons abandoning the eggs. Can that happen at this stage - as in idiot touch the egg then the pigeons not taking those back? Thanks again.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Dead egg or dead embryo:

Thanks for your advice. My only concern is, if I touch the egg then the pigeons abandoning the eggs. Can that happen at this stage - as in idiot touch the egg then the pigeons not taking those back? Thanks again.

·
Registered
579 Posts
You can touch the eggs from day 1 and never have a problem they will not abandoned them "myth", and at this point anything longer then 20 days without even a pip means your probably out of luck. Sorry, 18 days until hatch is normal.

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
Your male was sitting outside today because he has realised that the eggs are infertile. Like you said the weather has been cold then its a probability that the embryo has died because in cold weather if eggs are not incubated even for a short period of time the embryro dies.
Pigeons naturally sit on eggs for 18 to 20 days. After that if eggs don't hatch,they abandon their eggs.
If you are afraid that your pigeons gonna abandon the eggs by touching them then you can candle the eggs in their absence by luring them away for few mins with some snack.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Guys! I'll check the eggs on Sunday if nothing happens by then. (it's Saturday here already)

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
If you've waited for 3 weeks, wait for a couple of more days if you don't wanna touch eggs. The birds gonna abandon them on their own probably. When they abandon toss the eggs out and birds will start over again for next brood :)

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
One of my pairs have laid eggs more than 3 weeks ago and the eggs are still not hatched. I'm a bit concerned. And I've seen the female getting straws yesterday while the male was sitting on eggs. This morning I've seen the male sitting outside the egg before going back onto the eggs. Are those any signs? Should I be concerned? What should I do now?

Please note, the weather has been cold for last week or so.
cold should not have an affect if they sat them well. opposite from the advice to just let them give up,
It is important for you to candle the eggs so they can tell you if they were fertile or not fertilized. If they were fertile and the embryos died then that could be a disease issue. If they were not fertilized then the cock is not doing his part and that could be for many reasons. what breed of pigeon? some fancy breeds need their vent feathers trimmed so the cock can have a better chance to fertilize the hen's egg/s and ect...

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If you've waited for 3 weeks, wait for a couple of more days if you don't wanna touch eggs. The birds gonna abandon them on their own probably. When they abandon toss the eggs out and birds will start over again for next brood :)
Thanks Brocky. I just realised, they may have in fact laid the first egg around 15th of September. So that probably makes it roughly about 20 days today for the first egg. And if the second egg was laid couple of days later, I may still have a couple if days in my hand, right?

·
Registered
745 Posts
moving and handling the eggs after day 4 will likely cause the embryo to die.
there is a big chance that the eggs were from the beginning Infertile ... I don't know what to say but even in cold weathers pigeons do a good work incubating their eggs!

·
Registered
745 Posts
Thanks Brocky. I just realised, they may have in fact laid the first egg around 15th of September. So that probably makes it roughly about 20 days today for the first egg. And if the second egg was laid couple of days later, I may still have a couple if days in my hand, right?
20 days you should see some cracks in the eggs by now, do you see any? Also did anything happened in the apst three weeks maybe another pigeon entered to their nest or anything similar that can cause the eggs to slide or to roll? ?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
cold should not have an affect if they sat them well. opposite from the advice to just them them give up,
It is important for you to candle the eggs so they can tell you if they were fertile or not fertilized. If they were fertile and the embryos died then that could be a disease issue. If they were not fertilized then the cock is not doing his part and that could be for many reasons. what breed of pigeon? some fancy breeds need their vent feathers trimmed so the cock can have a better chance to fertilize the hen's egg/s and ect...
Hi Spirit,
They're a mix pair. The hen is a King and the male is Archangel. As for 'candle the eggs' - do u mean check the eggs in a dark place with a light as suggested earlier? I'll do that in a day or two.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
20 days you should see some cracks in the eggs by now, do you see any?
I haven't checked yet.

Also did anything happened in the apst three weeks maybe another pigeon entered to their nest or anything similar that can cause the eggs to slide or to roll? ?
No. The male is pretty aggressive from day one. There are 4 rooms in that pigeon 'home' where I used to keep another pair, but the moment this pair laid eggs, the male wouldn't even let them go anywhere near the boxes let alone going inside. He'd always on guard. So I'm confident on that front.

·
Registered
137 Posts
my pigeon egg just hatched today.. toook about 17 days for the first one.. and the second one got crack on it alreday .. and if you take one egg out time and take it close to your ear.. you might hear pigeon baby trying to crack the egg if you saying its been more than 20 days..

no they wont abond their eggs .. just take one out a time mate

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
Naturally, birds are programmed to breed in warmer months of the year. They start breeding in spring and it goes on until late summer. Now if there is cold in Australia, then cold could be one of the factors. First 5 to 7 days of incubation are very crucial because embryo is in its forming state and even if for few mins the eggs get cold,they get killed because of the cold weather when parents come out to feed or drink. After first five days eggs can be handled to see the progress, but shaking could kill the embryo.
Yes xclusive,this is what I mean. Its called candling. Take your eggs to dark(I do it at night,it easy to see)room and put a torch towards the bigger end of the egg. (I use my phone's flashlight, it does the work for me).
Its necessary to candle the eggs in your case to find out the cause. If you see a clear egg from within then eggs are infertile. If you see a little development then embryo has died because of cold. If u see a grown squab inside and inner color turning to yellowish brown from inside instead of red then squab have died and it could be because of many causes.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks again everyone. Tomorrow night will be 'candling night'. I'll let you know my findings. Hopefully, it'll be good news.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Alright, here it is. I found there's 3 eggs not two. One of them had a hole, which I took out. Looks like the egg was infertile as it seems to have gone off. It still had a bit of liquid in it. See the photo of the egg below. I can still see the yolk or that's what I think. Should I wait for a few days and see what happens to the other two? Another one seems to have a tiny crack. (?)

Please advise.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
Did you find three eggs in one nest??? Are you sure your pair are of opposite sex???
Tiny crack in the other egg could be sign that there squab in it trying to come out. Did you bring that egg close to your ear? Did you hear anything from inside?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts