Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
I think that they decide to make a nest anywhere they want. I have one loft that has eight nest boxes and only 2 pair are using them.the The other two decided to go to corners floors of loft. Then in another loft 4 out of the 10 nest boxes are being used and 3 paired on the floor.

I have tried this and it seems to work, take a piece of small wood about 1-2 inch in width and just make a square out of it and then place it over the nest make it a few inches bigger than the nest. It will help with the eggs rolling out and young getting hurt.

Thanks Southwing

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
How big are the boxes and how many birds do you have in there? I have a couple young pairs that decided they'd try the floor. I guess sometimes they just prefer it, and sometimes it's just a thing they grow out of.

·
Registered
857 Posts
I have a friend that has a whole lot of free flying white homer crosses.
She has a nice loft with plenty of nests that I built, but a lot of her pigeons choose to nest in her two barns where she stores all sorts of miscellaneous stuff.
They build nests under tarps, between the sliding door and wall, between boxes, in the hay, on the framing boards, and anywhere they can fit in.
The loft has better than 30 empty nests they could be using and food is provided in it, but they prefer to nest next door.
They are also the most prolific pigeons I have seen.
Keith

1 - 4 of 4 Posts