Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 4 pairs of homers breeding. 3 pairs have eggs that start to pip but then the chicks die before they can get out. The other pair are laying eggs but they die half way thru development. All 4 pairs have raised young in the past with no problems.
Anyone have any ideas what might be going on.

Waynef

·
Banned
2,389 Posts
I'll yry again---
Please make lots of notes.
Put 4 drops of Iodine to a gallon of water.
Give the hen a Calcium Gluconate tablet ever day after she mates-until she lays.
Maybe mist the eggs with water---NOT WET.
Sorry folks--I don't have a Source.

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
That's usually caused by either shrink wrapping due to the parents not sitting on them enough while they are hatching - they don't get enough moisture to keep them from drying out. OR death in the shell is caused by paratyphoid. Babies may die before they even start to hatch, during pipping, or shortly after hatching.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I will try the iodine first. All birds have been treated for parathyroid and I give plenty of vitimins . The adults have water avaliable for baths. I have 2 pair on egss now so come time for them to pip I will mist the eggs.

Thanks for the imput.
Waynef

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.