Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
hi all
a pair of my pigeons are sitting on eggs for maybe almost two weeks now
the father seems to be ill I am not sure but It's a Little sweling around the beak and has difficulty in breathing.
if it happens that the eggs hatch what should I do with the hatchlings Also the only pair I got appear to be Ironically a male - male pair :S and it's already 2 weeks since they start incubating them so I can't provde a foster parents for the eggs it's a bit difficult and my loft is in a mess I Already taking care of two other Injuried birds ?? :(
Any advise would be Appreciated

·
Registered
838 Posts
that is serious. You need to take the cock bird to a vent asap. Not sure what is the illness is but posting a picture can surely help us to identify the problem.

What about the female? Is she sick as well?

A messy loft will lead to many problem. Sickness will occur. Your loft/coop must be dry at all cost.

About the eggs, since its 2 weeks already, im sure they will hatch any day now if they are fertile.

Do not give the eggs to the male-male pair. They will not do anything with it. They will either squish the chicks or attack them

The only think i can think of now is that, if the hen is not sick and healthy, you can let the hen raise the chicks when they hatch. In the mean time, get help for the cock bird and treat its sickness asap.
Yes the hen will take care of the chicks for the first 2 weeks fine if she a have experience. If this is the first time the pair have eggs then you have have to hand feed the chick yourself. She will likely abandon the egg/chick if she is non-experience and also the impact that the cock is not around. So be prepare to hand raise the chicks youself. Use kaytee feeding formula. you can get them at your local pet's store.

DO NOT let sick bird raise/feed chicks!! That is not good for the chicks.

·
Registered
29,795 Posts
Can you post a picture of the male?

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
that is serious. You need to take the cock bird to a vent asap. Not sure what is the illness is but posting a picture can surely help us to identify the problem.

What about the female? Is she sick as well?

A messy loft will lead to many problem. Sickness will occur. Your loft/coop must be dry at all cost.

About the eggs, since its 2 weeks already, im sure they will hatch any day now if they are fertile.

Do not give the eggs to the male-male pair. They will not do anything with it. They will either squish the chicks or attack them

The only think i can think of now is that, if the hen is not sick and healthy, you can let the hen raise the chicks when they hatch. In the mean time, get help for the cock bird and treat its sickness asap.
Yes the hen will take care of the chicks for the first 2 weeks fine if she a have experience. If this is the first time the pair have eggs then you have have to hand feed the chick yourself. She will likely abandon the egg/chick if she is non-experience and also the impact that the cock is not around. So be prepare to hand raise the chicks youself. Use kaytee feeding formula. you can get them at your local pet's store.

DO NOT let sick bird raise/feed chicks!! That is not good for the chicks.
as an Update the chicks just started making their way out of the eggs, And I visited a vet He is saying it's a PP ( Pigeon pox) but I'm not sure because there are no sings of the Pox as the swelling is from the mouth tissue Itself I nothing within the beak dunno how to describe it but i'll post a Picture ASAP " i lost my camera's cable".
however my loft is dry I keep isolating infected birds cleaning the water and everything and I'll order and needed medicament A soons as I know what is the disease
thank you soo much guys for your Attention This makes me feel that there is still hope thank you so much again

·
Registered
838 Posts
if the illness was pox like the vet said then there is a chance the the babies will carry it too. I hope its not pox.

Remove the cock bird and do not let him feed the chicks. Let the hen handle it and you probably have to hand feed as well.

With pox, there is nothing you can do now. Just hope the cock will heal it itself.

·
Registered
29,795 Posts
That could be pox. Unfortunately, there is no medication for it once they have it. They can be vaccinated against it before they get it but not after. They usually catch pox from mosquitoes, but can catch it from cock roaches and biting flies and such. Also it can be caught from other birds that have it. If it gets bad enough, the bird may not eat and then has to be hand fed until it passes. He also needs to be separated from the other birds as it does pass quickly between birds. It can cause a lot of problems if it gets around the eyes and they cannot see to eat. Or if it is on or in the beak, it can cause the beak to be misshapen or damaged even afterwards.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts