1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
Hi,

I'd not seen this name before but having just read about it, (thanks to ET for posting those links), we obviously know or do hear a lot about Cocci but thankfully I haven't yet had a case of this to treat.

Has the vet given you a treatment for Mallory?

This would explain the lack of weight despite her eating well but is it also a factor in the problem with her legs or has the vet given you any indication as to what is wrong there yet?

Janet

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thankyou for the advice given above. Mallory is with Alison and under the care of Alison's vet she is in the best possible hands. I know Mallory has been put on a course of suitable antibiotics as soon as i find out which antibiotic i will post on here to let you all know. Alison has been told the prognosis for Mallory is very poor. We are praying the antibiotics will help and that her little body has not been affected beyond repair.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
Thankyou for the advice given above. Mallory is with Alison and under the care of Alison's vet she is in the best possible hands. I know Mallory has been put on a course of suitable antibiotics as soon as i find out which antibiotic i will post on here to let you all know. Alison has been told the prognosis for Mallory is very poor. We are praying the antibiotics will help and that her little body has not been affected beyond repair.
who is Alison?

·
Registered
221 Posts
The posts on this forum become really helpfull for others when people looking for help give back accurate information about the process of the illnesses they report.

The speciality of the vet treating the bird is crucial for others to trace the bests options when choosing a vet, the detailed aspects of why a negative prognosis is made when just starting a possible "cure". name of the medications, dosis, and a short vet history of the bird are important as well.

All this together make worthy using the search function of the forum for other users in the same or similar situation.

As far as I understand now, coccidiosis if on time discovered and with the right medication is curable. That is why its important for others to know the symptoms how many days/weeks was the bird showing symptoms before been taken to the vet.

http://www.chevita.com/en/pigeons/treatment-plan/digestivetract-coccidiosis.php

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This was the bird posted as "Feral pigeon unable to stand" by Alison S on the 11th April 2012 at 10.53am. All the details of this little bird's condition is given there. Vet has prescribed Baycox for Mallory for 5 days. Another thread on Pigeon talk suggested Gentian Violet Crystals as an alternative treatment! Any thoughts on this please!

·
Registered
221 Posts
I found a very interesting page giving the next descrition of the illness.

Coccidiosis is an insidious condition which is more like a stress factor than an actual disease. Since coccidiosis opens the door to other diseases like paratyphoid, canker or paramyxovirus, appropriate treatment should be carried out within reasonable limits.
http://www.wingswest.net/Pigeons/Health/Coccidiosis/coccidiosis.html

This "parasite" destroys the walls of the intestine of the pigeon.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.