Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I found him after hearing a noise, found him clidging from junk on my balcony. I got the pigeon inside and had been feeding it. Im sure he is eating, drinking and pooping fine, the problem is he can't fly because he hurt his leg.
Bird Dog breed Beak Working animal Companion dog

Shipping box Comfort Wood Material property Tints and shades

Hand Bird Gesture Finger Safety glove

Bird Beak Wood Chicken Galliformes

Bird Beak Feather Flooring Tail

As you can see in the first pictures I think the injury is easily visible.

Wood Grey Floor Hood Flooring

This is how he looks like walking, can't stand on a leg and I think its hurting himself.

He can move the leg Up and down and the fingers, I have been thinking on bandage the leg but I don't know if I Will set the leg wrongly, or if its just inflammation as someone told me at reddit.
Vets aren't open until monday I need quick advice.

Edit: A better pic to show how the leg looks upside down
Gesture Paint Headgear Flag of the united states Art

Its chill on that position on the bed, I don't know if its quiet and still now for fear of me or just because he feels relieved resting on his back.

·
Registered
7,707 Posts
What are you feeding him and how much? Put your finger inbetween the toes, if he grips your finger then at least the legs are not broken. Looks like splayed leg, don't try fixing it
Green Organism Gesture Finger Grass
now. Rather put him upright as in the photo below.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What are you feeding him and how much? Put your finger inbetween the toes, if he grips your finger then at least the legs are not broken. Looks like splayed leg, don't try fixing it View attachment 103003
now. Rather put him upright as in the photo below.
I had been feeding him with some lentils the first day until I got this yesterday

Bird Beak Bird supply Art Drinkware

I just put a few in a cup and let him alone to eat it, but in the box he trows the cup with food while trying to move. I also let 2 small watermelon chunks the first day and they dissapeared so I don't know if he ate them.

Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18
Show Content
Drinkware Drink Plastic bottle Wood Liquid

I found him like that now in the morning, im still seeing his fingers move so I think its not broken, I will try to sit him in the donut but as I can see, he always sits laying on his sane side and stretching the injured one out.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,707 Posts
I don't think the leg is injured, it looks splayed to me. Babies develop this when they hatch on a very slippery surface. You can look online at photos and compare. It will be too late to fix now, as the sockets grow in the direction of the legs. Only surgery done by an avian vet can fix this now.

Most important now is too make sure he gets enough food. Are the droppings still the same as in the photos? If so, he is producing starvation droppings. You can handfeed him green defrosted peas. Defrost in warm water and put one at a time deep inside his beak over the tongue. Aim for 90 peas per day divided into 3 meals of 30 each. Depending on how quick the crop empties.

What country are you from? Any chance you will be able to keep him longterm? He will have a hard time surviving out there with a leg like this.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't think the leg is injured, it looks splayed to me. Babies develop this when they hatch on a very slippery surface. You can look online at photos and compare. It will be too late to fix now, as the sockets grow in the direction of the legs. Only surgery done by an avian vet can fix this now.

Most important now is too make sure he gets enough food. Are the droppings still the same as in the photos? If so, he is producing starvation droppings. You can handfeed him green defrosted peas. Defrost in warm water and put one at a time deep inside his beak over the tongue. Aim for 90 peas per day divided into 3 meals of 30 each. Depending on how quick the crop empties.

What country are you from? Any chance you will be able to keep him longterm? He will have a hard time surviving out there with a leg like this.
I am at Seville, Spain. I would like to take care of the animal but he is all time trying to escape and I don't know if its eating well. He kept pooping green even stained his wing with his own poop.
I have tried to feed him by hand, but he just won't eat, I could let him down my house but im sure some cat will eat him. If the leg is not broken but he is like that, why can't he fly? He crashed into my balcony but is unable to take fly from the ground.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Look, I tried to make him sit, but the leg looks like rigid.

Hand Neck Gesture Felidae Finger

Carnivore Felidae Fawn Liver Dog breed

Felidae Carnivore Small to medium-sized cats Whiskers Cat

Here the curve looks clearly visible, he didn't try to close the leg.

Bird Coffee cup Drinkware Cup Serveware

Bird Beak Feather Wing Perching bird

This is how he sits, looks calmed now.
So what do you think he came already with a splay leg or its an injury?

·
Registered
7,707 Posts
i'm sure this is splayed leg. If he moves around and is active, then he is not in pain. He is a youngster, this is probably his first flight from when he left the nestarea. He needs both legs to push himself to fly from the ground, and with a leg like that then he probably can't.

He is young, so probably can't eat by himself. Handfeeding peas is very easy when you get the hang of it. Put him on your lap (facing to the right if you are righthanded). Open his beak with the fingers of your lefthand while using that hand to cover and restrain him. Have a pea ready in your righthand and put deep inside the beak over the tongue. If he spits it out, you need to put the pea deeper inside the beak.

Search online for any pigeon friendly rescue centres. The problem is that he might get euthanized as he will be unreleasable.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Are you on FB? If so, join the Palomacy help group for pigeon and dove rescue. Plenty of members all over and maybe someone closeby can take him in.
Thanks I will look at It. I do also think he is a young one, I noticed something else too:

Bird Hand Beak Gesture Finger

Those pink marks in his right wing (splay leg on his right side too)

Hand Felidae Ear Gesture Dog breed

Felidae Carnivore Ear Dog breed Gesture

His left foot likes curved too so he is always sliding.

I Will try to feed him by hand, Im not sure how mucho he eats by himself but I'm pretty sure he drinks because sometimes the cup of water have particles from his peak I Guess.

This is his behavior
After a while or when I try to help him he just lays on a corner for a while then he starts moving randomly again.

·
Registered
7,707 Posts
Splayed leg. He might have a Vit B2 deficiency as well. This causes the toes to curl up. Lots of info online reg baby chickens with that problem and how to fix. One can actually make a little shoe and tape the toes to the shoe. But only do this if you are able to open the toes. If he had this from a young age, you won't be able to open the toes and cause him serious pain. So take a bit of coconut oil and massage the toes and gently try to open them. Don't force.

The wing looks like that as he probably dragged himself around by using the wings. Poor thing.

If he is eating seeds, then the droppings will be brown and firm. The good thing about peas, is that he won't need much water as peas have lots of moisture. I doubt he will be eating, plse handfeed him. Cover him with a lightweight cloth and only let the beak stick out. Then he will calm down and will be easier to handfeed.

Rather put him in a box on soft bedding. He must be exhausted by now.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Splayed leg. He might have a Vit B2 deficiency as well. This causes the toes to curl up. Lots of info online reg baby chickens with that problem and how to fix. One can actually make a little shoe and tape the toes to the shoe. But only do this if you are able to open the toes. If he had this from a young age, you won't be able to open the toes and cause him serious pain. So take a bit of coconut oil and massage the toes and gently try to open them. Don't force.

The wing looks like that as he probably dragged himself around by using the wings. Poor thing.

If he is eating seeds, then the droppings will be brown and firm. The good thing about peas, is that he won't need much water as peas have lots of moisture. I doubt he will be eating, plse handfeed him. Cover him with a lightweight cloth and only let the beak stick out. Then he will calm down and will be easier to handfeed.

Rather put him in a box on soft bedding. He must be exhausted by now.
I made It! The pigeon was eating and drinking in front of me! I sit him on my lap and tried to force him eat opening his peak and putting those Seeds on but he always shaked and throw It. Until one could somewhat enter and he spit It, then he started searching It. Looks like he actively searches It and only eats if I drop It in front or his sides. He also drunk and ate a bit from the cups I bringed to him but then he looks to other side, if he finds another pea or Seed he tried to eat it.
He also started scratching his back and "cleaning" or searching for more in my lap and shirt. Its the first time I see him doing that. I don't know if he is feeling more confident.

Regarding the leg, then It looks like he wasn't hurt? Just he had the "luck" of falling into my balcony instead of the street? What should I do with him then? Should I release him? Try to help him fly? Wait for someone to take him? It would be sad if they euthanize him too

·
Registered
7,707 Posts
Keep the seedbowl in front of him and pick up the seeds and drop it again. Push it around with your finger, that will entice him to start eating. He is grooming himself, also a good sign.

No he is not injured. He chose the right balcony to land in. PLEASE don't release him and don't try helping him to fly. He will either starve or get caught by a predator.

Keep him for now. Put up a post in that FB group, maybe someone can adopt him. Members will advice you to take him to a vet of rescue centre, but as I said he will probably get euthanized. If I was closer, I would take him without second thought.

Why don't you keep him? Lots of people keep pigeons indoor. You can get him a decent size cage and we can advice reg keeping him longterm.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Keep the seedbowl in front of him and pick up the seeds and drop it again. Push it around with your finger, that will entice him to start eating. He is grooming himself, also a good sign.

No he is not injured. He chose the right balcony to land in. PLEASE don't release him and don't try helping him to fly. He will either starve or get caught by a predator.

Keep him for now. Put up a post in that FB group, maybe someone can adopt him. Members will advice you to take him to a vet of rescue centre, but as I said he will probably get euthanized. If I was closer, I would take him without second thought.

Why don't you keep him? Lots of people keep pigeons indoor. You can get him a decent size cage and we can advice reg keeping him longterm.
Oh that was something I didn't even think of. I thought he would either die like almost all birds or just fly away when recovered. Now I can't just abandon him to his luck. I Guess I Will Talk about this with my other house members and just keep taking care of him now. Maybe if its a young one his leg is still fixable?

·
Registered
7,707 Posts
If you are prepared to spend money and know of a good avian vet, you can take him in for an x-ray. But as I said, this problem needs to be fixed when they are fairly young. He must have been like this for a long time and then the socket grow in the direction of the leg. To fix this by yourself now, will cause him a lot of pain and injury.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If you are prepared to spend money and know of a good avian vet, you can take him in for an x-ray. But as I said, this problem needs to be fixed when they are fairly young. He must have been like this for a long time and then the socket grow in the direction of the leg. To fix this by yourself now, will cause him a lot of pain and injury.
Thats too bad, I can't sñend so much on it but won't either make him suffer more.
He looks more calmed now.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I think the pigeon lost some fear, tonight I put him on the towel and he barely moved or tried to scape. He has been sleeping until this morning (around 9P.M) but didn't try to fly again. Now I found him again sleeping in the corner (around 12 PM). Maybe he is seeking shadow? (he is under a window) I would like to understand this behavior.
The poops are still green, I guess I have to feed him more. How many times and how much should I feed him?

·
Registered
7,707 Posts
He is seeking shelter. Can you get a cage for him? Line the bottom with a soft blanket. Put the cage on a table (they feel safer when off the ground) and cover half with a blanket.

Can you post a photo of his droppings?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
He is seeking shelter. Can you get a cage for him? Line the bottom with a soft blanket. Put the cage on a table (they feel safer when off the ground) and cover half with a blanket.

This is where he slept tonight, he was fine there this morning until later when I went to check him.
You can see the droppings everywhere.
Sleeve Comfort Grey Collar Safety glove

This is where he moved. He is sleeping, I woke him up but he just ignores me and goes back to sleep again. I drop a few seeds in front but he keeps sleeping.
Light Automotive tire Cloud Fluid Plastic bottle

I have to say too, its a bit hot and Sunny this hour of the day:
Rectangle Fixture Wood Art Composite material

Should I wake him and force him to eat? This morning I woke him and get him the water bowl and he drunk and went to sleep again.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Ok now Im really worried, he has been sleeping all morning, I grabbed him when I saw he opened his eyes but he doesn't resist anymore. He lets his head loose and is now like in a constant yawning:
Comfort Carnivore Felidae Grey Dog breed

He doesn't make any effort at all to move he just lays. I bring the bowls and he more or less put his peak on them. He is constantly "yawning" while moving his head but not the body.

·
Registered
7,707 Posts
He is producing starvation droppings. You will need to feed him. But first check inside his beak and back of the throat for any unusual yellow cheesy or white growths. The beak must have a nice pinkish/reddish colour. Handfeed him green defrosted peas as I have explained. Start with 20 peas and when that gets digested (you will notice a change in the dropp

Ok now Im really worried, he has been sleeping all morning, I grabbed him when I saw he opened his eyes but he doesn't resist anymore. He lets his head loose and is now like in a constant yawning:
View attachment 103035

He doesn't make any effort at all to move he just lays. I bring the bowls and he more or less put his peak on them. He is constantly "yawning" while moving his head but not the body.
He is dying, he is starving.
kngs

1 - 20 of 35 Posts