Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Unfortunately, I have failed to keep my birds safe. Today, during the rain, somehow, I have no idea what happened, but one of my loft's legs had caved in and broke off and the loft collapsed. Fortunately, none of the birds are hurt.

Are there any fanciers near Southern California that can take my birds under their wing? Please, they need a better place be in.
I live in the San Fernando Valley area.

I have 3 young birds, 2 old birds, 1 pair with 1 baby. You can keep them if you like, I've gotten so attached to them but I just cannot have them in this situation, I do not want them to suffer. Or I can take them back once I rebuild but it will take a long time because I am only 17 and I will have to save up money to be able to rebuild.

Thank you very much and God Bless
Kevin

·
Registered
116 Posts
I am so sorry to hear that kevin. I wish i was close enough to help you, i have room for some more pigeons but i am to far. hope you get help very soon .God bless James.

·
Registered
604 Posts
how much do you need to re-build? Wish I were closer to help you out. Maybe there is someone close with some material they could donate. I have extra lumber and metal roofing but I am in oregon, sorry.

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
I'm in Northern CA so I can't help but hopefully someone will be along soon who can. It's been raining hard all day here, too--huge storm system. Perhaps someone can loan you a large dog crate or cage to keep your pigeons in temporarily.

How old is the baby and what breed of pigeons?

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am so sorry to hear that kevin. I wish i was close enough to help you, i have room for some more pigeons but i am to far. hope you get help very soon .God bless James.
Thank you.

how much do you need to re-build? Wish I were closer to help you out. Maybe there is someone close with some material they could donate. I have extra lumber and metal roofing but I am in oregon, sorry.
Well, the roofing got messed up but I tried my best to seal it and I put a big plastic cover on top of it to make sure no water goes through.
I'm thinking if I am going to rebuild, it would be a much bigger loft.
Thank you for your concern.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm in Northern CA so I can't help but hopefully someone will be along soon who can. It's been raining hard all day here, too--huge storm system. Perhaps someone can loan you a large dog crate or cage to keep your pigeons in temporarily.

How old is the baby and what breed of pigeons?
These are homers, the baby is less than a week and a half old.

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
I'm sorry this happened, the rains collapsed one of my aviaries too last night. Luckily no one was hurt. Until you figure out what to do, you can go get a $20 tent at Walmart, K-mart, etc. and house them in that if you have nothing else. Obviously make sure it's in a secure place where nothing can fall on it and where no predators can get it.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
How much to fix what you got. Rebuild later, repair now. I'll send you $50.00 to get you started. PM your address. It would be better for the birds if they stayed with you. So that's a start.

Tony

·
Registered
91 Posts
I can send $25.00. Just pay it forward when someone else is in need down the road. Big T if you got an address pm it to me. Thanks, Keystonepaul

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
Keystone Paul and Big T,
You are heroes to me, and I bet lots of other people in here. Thank you for helping, and letting this youngster keep his birds.
Daryl

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Big T and Keystonepaul, you guys are wonderful to help this kid out. It would be ashame if he had to get rid of his pets and without you guys helping him thats what he would have to do. Lets hope he provides you guys with pictures of the new improved loft. This gave me goosebumps when I read what you guys did for kevin. Good job. mindy

·
Registered
163 Posts
Wow. Whenever my faith in humanity wavers, I shall only have to come back here and read this once more to remind myself that all is not lost...

·
Registered
267 Posts
wow!!! you guys are awsome!!! thanks for helping this kid out... bless your heart!!! hey kevin take some picture and show us where you went wrong building it, maybe some of us can show you how or what can you do for the meantime till your ready to build one again...

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
wow!!! you guys are awsome!!! thanks for helping this kid out... bless your heart!!! hey kevin take some picture and show us where you went wrong building it, maybe some of us can show you how or what can you do for the meantime till your ready to build one again...
What went wrong was the legs couldn't stand the weight of the loft. I came home and it was leaning backwards to the right because one of the legs had caved in and broke off. What I did right away was I took all the birds out and put them in a little cage inside my house and I also brought one of the nest boxes inside because there is a week and half old baby in there with the dad.
As I was out there in the rain I tried to replace the other leg by 2 stacked concrete block to try and even it out then the other leg broke off and it literally fell to its side. Then I didn't know what to do so I called a friend for help. We took off the other 2 legs and turned it right side up, covered it with 2 plastic shower curtains and made sure there were no water leaks and put all the birds back.

I want to know how I can put all the legs back, it's going to be difficult.
I will take some pictures of how it looks now when the rain calms down, I'm starting to get sick.

God Bless
Kevin

G

·
you could easily put the whole thing on cinderblocks to get it back up off the ground ,from the looks of the legs on your coop Im surprised it dint come down sooner :eek: you have to think heavy duty when it comes to the support system of any coop ;)

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
you could easily put the whole thing on cinderblocks to get it back up off the ground ,from the looks of the legs on your coop Im surprised it dint come down sooner :eek: you have to think heavy duty when it comes to the support system of any coop ;)
Yeah, I should have done more research before I did that but I just followed the plans that were given to me. Right now, it is around 4 inches off of the ground this will be temporary, when the sun is back out, I will renovate it. All because of Tony and Paul's help. Thank you guys, very much.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Wow. Whenever my faith in humanity wavers, I shall only have to come back here and read this once more to remind myself that all is not lost...
I don't know what else to say what you guys are doing for Kevin is Amazing and truely a blessing to him:D:D, THANK YOU . GOD BLESS:D:D, James

1 - 20 of 25 Posts